Easiest header gasket replacement from experience?

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Yup. It's leaking bad now and it is so annoying. You should know if you've had one leak how bad it makes the motor sound. Sounds like an old Chevy van inside or something. Whatever.

Ive been dreading doing this because I'm new to the 4.6 and the first time I looked for the bolts I could BARELY even find the headers. But there's a big BBK badge down there and I'm just baffled at how the PO got those things in there. I've done many many a 5.0 and even they are tricky sometimes. So from your experiences I'd like to see what I can do to make this just a headache and not a nightmare. Thanks guys.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Just have to do it and figure it out lol. They are a pain in the ass with the staggered bolt holes and you really should pull the entire header and clean both the header and the head surface. Your gona have a lot of 1/4 & 1/2 turns with a open end wrench to walk the bolts out. I would say 2hrs a side by hand...

Butch

Reaction score
Gotta love those 1/4 turns. Hell even 1/8 at some point =]„ have fun. Feels good afterwards though. I loosened my passengers side once, good times good times.

Sent from your moms breastesses

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
And when you finish tightening that last bolt youll think..."do I want to double check them?"

PonyGlued

Reaction score
get yourself a swivel socket and a round palm ratchet & have 3 or 4 extension's in various lengths, will shorten the time needed a bit

Redford

Reaction score
Easiest? With the heads off the block.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to do a PI swap if that's what you're into? :rolleyes:

kb1982

Reaction score
Get a couple of studs that you can screw into the head to hold the gasket in place while you put the header on. Put a few bolts in, then remove the studs and replace with the bolts. Best trick Ive used for headers. I use the same trick for trannys to hold them in place also.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Easiest? With the heads off the block.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to do a PI swap if that's what you're into? :rolleyes:

I actually just picked up an entire 2002 PI Motor last night. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online