eBay bumpers any good?

tizzle0469

Reaction score
any body have experience with these eBay body parts? I need a new front bumper for my 94 cobra and I can get one shipped for 250ish, usually way better price than one I can get used/strip then repaint...any thoughts?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think [MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION] ordered a reproduction bumper and wasn't all that happy with the fit. I know my reproduction fenders were not all that great of a fit and if I did it again I would be hitting the junk yards as the 20yr old stuff seems better then the new stuff to me.

stingracer

Reaction score
Rockauto has cobra front bumper for $130

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anything good of an ebay bumper, especially an oem style rep.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Most bumpers need work to fit even OEM ones.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've had both reproduction and oem Cobra bumper on my GT. The difference in fitment and material quality is pretty large. OEM bumper is made out of soft and flexible polyurethane, which ensures correct fit and proper lines. Reproduction bumper was made out of stiff ABS plastic, which is too rigid for great fitment and shatters on impact. I'm very happy with OEM piece, was less so with aftermarket. I didn't think there would be any difference until I actually used both. OEM without any doubt over anything else for body parts.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I think Tony ordered a reproduction bumper and wasn't all that happy with the fit. I know my reproduction fenders were not all that great of a fit and if I did it again I would be hitting the junk yards as the 20yr old stuff seems better then the new stuff to me.

yea mine was crap! came from american muscle which surprised me tbh. always had good luck with them.

OP
OP
tizzle0469

tizzle0469

Reaction score
I've had both reproduction and oem Cobra bumper on my GT. The difference in fitment and material quality is pretty large. OEM bumper is made out of soft and flexible polyurethane, which ensures correct fit and proper lines. Reproduction bumper was made out of stiff ABS plastic, which is too rigid for great fitment and shatters on impact. I'm very happy with OEM piece, was less so with aftermarket. I didn't think there would be any difference until I actually used both. OEM without any doubt over anything else for body parts.

Is that the polypropylene bumper?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found a new one on eBay that's CAPA certified, I'm thinking that would be ok?
Capa certified is a minimum. What that means is it's certified to fit properly (mounting holes in the correct locations) but that doesn't always mean quality. With aftermarket bumper covers you don't really know what you're getting until it's in front of you. Any place worth a shit will take it back and give you another if you're not happy.

Sent from bored/stroked Galaxy S6

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The stock bumpers will more then likely have some blemishes that need fixed but I would take that over a new reproduction any day. Little bumps and crap are not hard to fix but when lines to not match up it can take much much longer.

OP
OP
tizzle0469

tizzle0469

Reaction score

I hate it because this is the only area that is messed up (you cant see in this pic but this area sags a little inside the opening and it just looks old and worn out...) makes the car look like its got lips...

GT3FC

Reaction score
Its pretty much a crapshoot if its not OEM IMO. I just had to have my fromt bumper cover replaced and I went aftermarket because it was alot cheaper. Its a good bumper cover as far as quality goes but there was alot more prep work to get it to fit right before paint. i would expect anything aftermarket to not fit 100%. but if your good with body work or have a good body guy thsa shouldnt be too much of a problem.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
im referring to the rivots on the header panel. dont you have to drill those out?

just to confirm the header panel is the black plastic piece that the headlights lock into after it mounts to the core support correct?
its been so long since I took off the header panel off originally but I don't remember any rivits. I just took it off last night in fact, two just 2 bolts behind the lights(on eacy side of course) and then there are two more that face to the side of the car and then there are 2 more that are driven into towards the center or the car into brackets that hang off the core support Where are the rivits at? if you want to replace them and be able to move them replace the rivet wht a rivnut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online