ECM help!!!!

Rogera13

Reaction score
Here is my situation, 1996 GT with original tired NPI motor. On engine stand I have 2009 4.6L 2v out of a police interceptor with wiring harness. This motor would be the same as a 2004 GT. I'm freshening this engine and installing springs and cams. My original thought was to use 96 wiring harness and ECM since the 96 has stupid PATS and my SCT X4 already married. Is this my best route for tuning or should I find a later model computer and use the 09 wire harness and have that ECM tuned? Also, with the newer ECM will that eliminate the PATS or cause problems? Thanks in advance!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Your current computer and wiring harness is just fine. Don't bother with the newer computer. Set the engine in and use all of you 96 electronics and wires.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! This is what I thought. The ECM is already married to the car via the STUPID PATS system. This is really no different than doing a PI head and intake swap, right? ECM really doesn't care what block, just what it reads from sensors.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That's exactly right. Both computers will accept the same modifications as far as tune is concerned so the 96 computer will not have any issues running the engine. As long as all the sensors are present.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So glad I have no pats...........

Ssssoooooo glad I don't have to worry bout marrying my tuner to my ecm !!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
For the record, a tuner can be unmarried as easily as it was married. Then you can tune a different car. My old Diablo tuner got passed through 3 cars while I had it. I admit though, pats sucks. I had to find my way around it so I could install my megasquirt.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan of PATS but this is the easier route. I did see a video I'm gonna go through again where they cheated the PATS by attaching the programmed key inside the column then a regular cut key would work...not sure but may look at it..

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan of PATS but this is the easier route. I did see a video I'm gonna go through again where they cheated the PATS by attaching the programmed key inside the column then a regular cut key would work...not sure but may look at it..

Why hat would you want to do that though? If you have all the pieces for pats to work then why try to bypass it? I know for a fact that if you remove the ecu or swap it for another one, the key thing doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online