EEC chip losing contact?

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
My egr valve was taking a dump on my car so I decided to delete it. Pulled the eec, took it to a tuner and had a chip burned to disable egr and thermactor functions(smog pump had been bypassed by previous owner). Got the eec back in the car, test drove it, no more egr codes. LMR screwed up and sent me the wrong egr plate, so I deleted the smog system and all vacuum lines for smog/egr while leaving the egr on the manifold. Drove the car off and on for about a week, no issue. After that week the car started throwing a CEL for egr codes, specifically 332. Then while driving it felt like the car would randomly cut fuel for a split second and flash the CEL(I would assume the eec is trying to run the egr so it's cutting fuel and advancing timing, but not sure). Again, code 332. Egr plate shows up, delete egr the rest of the way, car throws code 327. Contact tuner, he has me bring the car in, they check the chip(moates), and verify egr and thermactor function are disabled. They tell me there's nothing else they can do and recomend a $1k stand alone. The car shouldn't be throwing egr codes with everything disabled. The car never had the drivability issue before the chip. If the chip is tuned correctly, I'm starting to think the eec isn't reading it. Leads me to think possible corrosion on the terminals or a lack of contact. Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? I'm planning to pull codes one last time tomorrow(cel is on almost constantly now), pull the eec, remove the chip and start checking the contact points. I don't really know what else to do at this point, I don't know how the car didn't throw any egr codes for a week. I'm really starting to consider a stand alone just to be done with it, just hard to justify spending the money on a car that isn't built and I'm only $2400 into.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First......why did you take the Ecm to the tuner? They didn’t need it to burn a chip.

Second.... has anyone taken the time to take a green scrub pad and clean the contacts up where the chip connects?? They have a coating from the factory that keeps the chip from making good contact.

Third........ after you properly clean the contacts with a green pd and some rubbing alcohol then test drive it and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
First......why did you take the Ecm to the tuner? They didn’t need it to burn a chip.

Second.... has anyone taken the time to take a green scrub pad and clean the contacts up where the chip connects?? They have a coating from the factory that keeps the chip from making good contact.

Third........ after you properly clean the contacts with a green pd and some rubbing alcohol then test drive it and see what happens.

First: everything I've read on deleting the egr on a sn95 5.0 says you need to disable it in the eec, take it to a tuner and have it turned off. Second: I don't believe the contacts were ever cleaned,to my knowledge. I wasn't aware of a coating, I just figured dirt/corrosion. That was my plan for today as stated in my first post.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First: everything I've read on deleting the egr on a sn95 5.0 says you need to disable it in the eec, take it to a tuner and have it turned off. Second: I don't believe the contacts were ever cleaned,to my knowledge. I wasn't aware of a coating, I just figured dirt/corrosion. That was my plan for today as stated in my first post.

No reason to take our ecm’s to the tuner. That’s for obd2 cars. Get a green scouring pf and lightly clean the contacts up and then rub me clean with alcohol. Be careful not to scrub too hard as you can damage them.

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
No reason to take our ecm’s to the tuner. That’s for obd2 cars. Get a green scouring pf and lightly clean the contacts up and then rub me clean with alcohol. Be careful not to scrub too hard as you can damage them.

Just like a sega genesis cartridge lol. So twEECer and quaterhorse have no purpose for sn95 obd1?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said the contacts are often dirty and IIRC were coated with a wax or something from the factory to prevent shorting.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just like a sega genesis cartridge lol. So twEECer and quaterhorse have no purpose for sn95 obd1?

Yes like a sega Genesis. Quaterhorse by Moates works fine but it’s just a chip you have added to the ecm. Adding a chip with a custom tune is the only way to tune the 94-95 5.0’s aside from going stand-alone

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Yes like a sega Genesis. Quaterhorse by Moates works fine but it’s just a chip you have added to the ecm. Adding a chip with a custom tune is the only way to tune the 94-95 5.0’s aside from going stand-alone

Yeah, that's what I have. It's just a stock tune with emissions disabled.

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
View media item 54View media item 55I think I found the issue. I pulled the chip to clean the contacts and found these 2 bent posts on the underside of the eec board. There are 4 contacts on the chip that look like they should make a connection with these posts. That should explain why my egr codes are intermittent, the posts are probably bent just enough to lose/gain connection at random.

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Well I was completely wrong about the bent posts contacting the chip, but I cleaned the contacts like I had originally planned and it seems to have solved my problem.

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Your welcome!!!! [emoji38]

Yeah, thanks. I had no clue there was any kind of coating. The tuner that supposedly tuned tons of sn95s apparently didn't know either lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am almost kinda sorta 99% sure the instructions clearly say to clean the contacts prior to install...

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I am almost kinda sorta 99% sure the instructions clearly say to clean the contacts prior to install...
It really seemed like a hassle for them. They were more than willing to charge me but they didn't want to do the job. I was told when I went back that they no longer deal with obd1

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
honestly if your tuner can't take the time, or will not take the time to check the contacts your better off finding a new tuner.... Its just a huge sign of lazy, don't give a FFFF and if they take those shortcuts, they will take others.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
honestly if your tuner can't take the time, or will not take the time to check the contacts your better off finding a new tuner.... Its just a huge sign of lazy, don't give a FFFF and if they take those shortcuts, they will take others.

FFFF?? Flippity flappity flying fawk????

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't plan on going back. I told the owner that the car was trying to run the egr and he asked me if I could data log my car in the most condescending way possible. I can't data log my car, but I've got 15 years mechanical experience and I know how a egr valve works and all my codes were for egr. Plus the guy has the most punchable face I have ever seen in my life lol

BigBore96

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out.

The quarterhouse is easy to turn that stuff of yourself. Did you buy it from them? Im surprised these clowns didnt know about the coating.

My experience is most people tune it themselves for things like that with a quarter horse.

Also. That chip has a soldered in battery and depending on how you leave your car sit or anything like that the battery life can die sooner than normal. Requiring some soldering skills to replace it yourself or sending it to have the battery replaced.

OP
OP
Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out.

The quarterhouse is easy to turn that stuff of yourself. Did you buy it from them? Im surprised these clowns didnt know about the coating.

My experience is most people tune it themselves for things like that with a quarter horse.

Also. That chip has a soldered in battery and depending on how you leave your car sit or anything like that the battery life can die sooner than normal. Requiring some soldering skills to replace it yourself or sending it to have the battery replaced.
Yeah, I bought it from them. I have zero experience with tuning so I figured I was better off paying to have it done. I probably should have looked into doing myself, but at this point, I'm just glad it's done and working properly

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought it from them. I have zero experience with tuning so I figured I was better off paying to have it done. I probably should have looked into doing myself, but at this point, I'm just glad it's done and working properly
tuning is not as easy as getting the gear to connect. I know on this forum the number of people tuning it themselves is not nearly as high as those getting tunes done for them. I decided to do my own because there was not a good tuner nearby and have wondered if I made the right decision more then a few times. Tonight in fact....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.