EEC Shutdown - HELP

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
This morning I was detailing my engine and got it looking good as fuck. I dried everything off covered the alternator and let it sit to dry more with the hood open in the garage.

However after letting it set awhile I was ready to leave so the car leaves my driveway fine and I got on the interstate. So I'm on the interstate for about a good 15 minutes and the car dies on me.

I checked my fuses and my car is blowing one of the high output fuses which is a 20A for the EEC. Therefore I must have a short somewhere... how?? I don't know but I need to find out. I'm hoping my EEC isn't fried. I took off the passenger panel to access the EEC and it was bone dry... wires were dry also. Also the THEFT light flashes everytime I turn the key to the on position and blows a fuse again.

So where should I start looking??

EThorpe

Reaction score
??? Doesn't sound good, If your popping the 20A for the EEC under the hood after you washed it? it's gotta be some sort of direct short in the harness, must be a small amount of water somewhere :dunno: Try wigling the harness in different area's looking for wet spots, start from the fuses box under the hood.

Good Luck! That sux hard bro.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It might sound stupid but just try wiggling things, unplugging things and plugging them back in (EEC related etc.) where water could of gone.

When I clean my engine bay I try to cover all electronics then I just use the hose on a super low flow to dump over where I have been scrubbing with "simple green" I never just spray the entire engine bay.

97vertstang

Reaction score
this engines are made so even if u throw water nothing will happen but, any cut or water squeezing through somewhere can cause a short.i haved washed my engine 3 times with high pressure and nothing covered and nothing has happened. my frined ,whos paranoid ,covered his alternator and a bunch of crap and didnt use as much pressure as me.what happened well water got inside one of his cop and shorted it out.its just luck.but im pretty sure ur eec isnt fried.my wires around , wiggle them to see whats going on.and if ur blowing out a fuse u got short to ground somewhere.get a wiring diagram and follow it.and wiggle everything to see if anything strange happens.

OP
OP
S

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!!

She runs. After letting my car sit for awhile, everything dried up. So now there is no more short and I'm not blowing anymore fuses. However the car is missing so I'm going to replace the coil packs and spark plugs to see if helps the problem. But I'm glad she is at least running. She will be a garage queen for a couple more days but it is all good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.