Efi to carb speedometer

Mlude00

Reaction score
Hello, been looking around cannot find the answer. Hopefully someone can help. I bought a 95 mustang gt manual with no motor trans. I'm installing a 351 carbed with T5. I'm assuming the speedo is mated with the tranny electrically considering there is no provision for a cable on the tranny. However I do not see any wires hanging down under the shifter hole for an electrical hookup. I'm assuming there is a harness or something I will need and I will need to know what and where the harness hooks into on the vehicle side if it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I can’t remember the exact routing for that trans harness but I believe it runs up and connects at the passenger side firewall just like the engine harness does. From there it’ll go in to the car. The good thing about these is the stock ecu does not control the speedometer. So if you find the wires going to the gauge cluster for the speed sensor (I’m sure someone here has a wiring diagram that can help), you can connect it to the speed sensor on your trans and get the gauge to work.

Making the gauge accurate will be a different story though. Depending on what the t5 came from, what gears you have, and what your rear tire size is, you might have to get a converter box that’s programmable from someone like Dakota digital.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
No main harness there
Transmission harness is plugged in the passenger side corner under hood

OP
OP
M

Mlude00

Reaction score
I can’t remember the exact routing for that trans harness but I believe it runs up and connects at the passenger side firewall just like the engine harness does. From there it’ll go in to the car. The good thing about these is the stock ecu does not control the speedometer. So if you find the wires going to the gauge cluster for the speed sensor (I’m sure someone here has a wiring diagram that can help), you can connect it to the speed sensor on your trans and get the gauge to work.

Making the gauge accurate will be a different story though. Depending on what the t5 came from, what gears you have, and what your rear tire size is, you might have to get a converter box that’s programmable from someone like Dakota digital.
Thank you for the info! I appreciate it

OP
OP
M

Mlude00

Reaction score
That harness if I remember correctly has the reverse speed and 02 sensor on it
If I get the harness for the transmission I still have nothing to plug into on the car. If what you are saying about plugging into something under the hood on passenger side. Hmm

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
16471292503175288512397895626979.jpg

If you don't have these 2 plugs the one with the screw it
And the plug in one
Than you don't have computer or harness

Remove kick panel passenger side if no computer present
You would need to get one depending

OP
OP
M

Mlude00

Reaction score
View attachment 15724

If you don't have these 2 plugs the one with the screw it
And the plug in one
Than you don't have computer or harness

Remove kick panel passenger side if no computer present
You would need to get one depending
Yea definitely do not have any of those plugs or harness! I'm assuming the guy i bought the roller off of pulled out all that stuff with the computer for a 302 ranger swap he was doing.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
that is what i thought
if you get a hold of leon at MPS
he has the harness computer and what ever else you need

OP
OP
M

Mlude00

Reaction score
that is what i thought
if you get a hold of leon at MPS
he has the harness computer and what ever else you need
So i.got ahold of MPS and they have no idea what I'd need. They said they only deal with Fuel injection. Any other ideas. Looked at a few other forums and found good Info on other things but the tranny and speedo thing I'm having a hard time.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So i.got ahold of MPS and they have no idea what I'd need. They said they only deal with Fuel injection. Any other ideas. Looked at a few other forums and found good Info on other things but the tranny and speedo thing I'm having a hard time.
Are you going to try to use the factory speedometer?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Another place may have it
Dial at prestige mustang
I would check about every 2 weeks with these guys
Thay do get quite a few cars in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online