EGR delete???

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Ok a friend of mine and me were talking bout what i should do to my car since the engine is out and everything getting fixed and he said i should get an EGR delete. My question.....what is it? what does it do? and is it worth deleting and if it is where do i get it? Its probably a noob question but i don't know the answer.

Spyder

Reaction score
Well, first things first

Do you still have your smog pump and all that stuff?

If you do, i would delete that before deleting the EGR

Also, Do you have a tuner or something? From what i have heard, when you delete the EGR, it throws some codes.

OP
OP
V

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Well, first things first

Also, Do you have a tuner or something? From what i have heard, when you delete the EGR, it throws some codes.
yeh im pretty sure i got the smog pump still on. Again im not the most knowledgable bout the engine. What all is invloved in deleting that? and what are the benefits?

waltnono

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Well, first things first

Yeah you would get a couple codes, the EGR is looped with a couple other emission items like the DPFE and evap canister. Not 100% but one looks at pressure before EGR and another looks @ pressure after EGR and their is a solenoid that regulates the pressure within the loop. But don't worry about all that mumbo jumbo and just get a xcal and have that whole EGR programed out. I'm try'n to figure out how I'm going to run my setup, my tuner said he could delete egr and do some other trick to fool emissions systems but I have a 95 and I gotta smog it. :noes:

95-stang

Reaction score
Just chucked my smog pump and all the pipework, and looking at doing the same to the egr.
I have the egr delete parts already [before i realised you cant just bin it] how much is an xcal and where do you get them from [ie cheapest place :) ]

S

scarface

if you plan on getting the car tuned afterwards you can have the EGR cut off. The delete kit is like 15 bux. I got mine from Randy Stinchcomb on Modular Depo.

Dekorum

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
4.6 Mod Motors DO NOT have Smog Pumps

Actually, I think they have electric smog pumps that can't be deleted as easily as 5.0s because ours are driven by a pulley.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scarface said:
if you plan on getting the car tuned afterwards you can have the EGR cut off. The delete kit is like 15 bux. I got mine from Randy Stinchcomb on Modular Depo.

Randy's not on Modular Depot anymore, you can find him in the Ford Parts section of the American Muscle Forums now.

I also bought mine from Randy.
Its just a plug for the header and a plate to block off where the EGR connected to the intake.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Dekorum said:
SRT Handz said:
4.6 Mod Motors DO NOT have Smog Pumps

Actually, I think they have electric smog pumps that can't be deleted as easily as 5.0s because ours are driven by a pulley.

exactly. its still considered a smog pump or secondary air injection, but its basically the same thing. it pumps air (clean) into the exhaust manifolds so it mixes with the exhaust gases and helps the exhaust gases get burned up as they pass thru the cats. 96-98 4.6L DOHC and 03/04 DOHC mod motors all have this. i think the 99/01 cobra is the only one that doesnt have it.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Is it worth deleting the EGR on my car? I can turn that puppy off on my car with my predator

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Vendetta said:
Is it worth deleting the EGR on my car? I can turn that puppy off on my car with my predator

it will make it run a little hotter, but you should be ok to turn it off.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
im going to delete my smog and egr, i got the smog elim pulley the other day. now i have a 5.0 I know ill throw codes, but is there any benefit to get the egr programed out? besides the fact my car will throw a code? right now my EGR is bolted to my intake still but its just plugged off...might as remove the whole thing hey? anyone have a link to the eliminator kit for the egr?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
Vendetta said:

yea but whats the point? lol I don't understand why.. seems like everyone deletes it just because they can :D

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Vendetta said:
reivaxtorres said:
Vendetta said:

yea but whats the point? lol I don't understand why.. seems like everyone deletes it just because they can :D
the EGR valve likes to stick and just be a PITA...

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Vendetta said:
reivaxtorres said:
Vendetta said:

pretty much. people will tell you that they delete the EGR for performance, but the EGR doesnt work when you are at WOT. the purpose of the EGR is to recirculate exhaust gases back into the intake. there are a few reasons for this, main one being that because the exhaust gases are no longer combustable, it cant ignite and therefore doesnt let the cylinder temp get too hot. the other purpose of the EGR is to reduce emissions, which is why you cant legally remove it in an emissions oriented state. people believe that if they remove the EGR, it will no longer allow the exhaust gases into the engine, which means it will be using nothing but clean air and fuel, which is 100% true. BUT, here's the kicker: like i said earlier, the EGR does not operate when you are at WOT, and remains closed, which is the exact same as removing it. so for all those who want that extra performance, unless you really want max performance when you arent even going full throttle (???), it does you no good except to run your cylinder temps higher during daily driving.

to those that really want to test this, do this:
pop the hood open, and disconnect the vacuum line on top of the EGR. without this line, the EGR will remain closed, but it will eventually throw a code (maybe, mine never did). the only difference you will notice while driving around the city is that the RPMs no longer "hang" when you let go of the gas and depress the clutch, they go down a lot faster. like i said tho, is this really worth the extra strain on your cooling system/engine? i didnt think so

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
Vendetta said:
reivaxtorres said:
Vendetta said:

the EGR valve likes to stick and just be a PITA...

thats why the hammer was invented.... :hammer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online