egr system delete

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi I have an 94 GT I'm in the process of fixing up and I'm wanting to delete the egr system especially the piping to make it easier to work on and for looks as well. How would I go about doing so and the car be drivable? Have to get the computer flashed to get rid of the the egr system in the computer?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will need a chip with a tune to delete the egr or you will have a check engine light and idle issues.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

lutter94

Reaction score
I made a block off plate with some scrap steel. Made a cork gasket. Just traced it all from the EGR valve. Pretty simple. I think I used a JIC hydraulic cap on the exhaust, don't think the threads were 100% match, but it was close, got tight, and seals, all i can ask for....

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I'm mainly wanting to get rid of the piping to make it easier to work on the car especially number 4 plug its a PITA to get to with the egr tube/pipe right next to it plus planning on installing headers once I get another transmission put in in the next couple months.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Nope, it just blocks exhaust gases from recirculating.
What do you have the timing set to?

Don't know I've only had the car about 3 months now still in the process of fixing it up. I don't have a timing light but planning on buying one soon. Why will capping it off affect timing or something?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I definitely don't have that kinda money to spend on something I might use once or twice was planning on getting $20 one from Harbor Freight.

lutter94

Reaction score
lol ok, at least get the one with the advance dial. its like 30 bucks. make one mark on 0 deg. and adjust.

SNorange94

Reaction score
It's not going to mess with your timing. Some people say that it leans out the fuel mix a bit, so when you time it listen for pinging.
I had my timing set to 14* BTDC and it ran great.

lutter94

Reaction score
say you buy the cheap one. you have to mark the balancer at what ever timing you want to set it at. It's hard to check what its at currently without the dial.

With the dial, mark zero deg on the balancer, and fine tune the dial until the mark lines up. Want to set it to 12, turn it to 12, then set the dizzy. Want to try 10, turn the dial to 10. Otherwise you'd have to make multiple marks on the balancer.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
good to know as I need to get one. The way I see it is that while a timing light isn't all that difficult/technical of a piece it would still be really easy to screw up and cause problems.

lutter94

Reaction score
It's real simple. Just be sure to unplug the spout connector before checking/adjusting. Any questions let me know :)

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting the cheapest block-off out there for the header! Cut the tube, pull the the screw part that screws onto the header off, throw a penny in it, and tighten it down. Ghetto? Mehhh Kinda. But fits perfectly, the copper will give a little bit and seal good, and if it ever blows out, it literally costs $0.01 to fix. When I deleted my EGR junk on the red 94, that's what I did. First penny would have lasted but my buddy "engraved" a X into it and wouldn't you know, it split along those lines. But the 2nd one was in the car for 6k miles before I sold it with no issue whatsoever.

Can't remember what I did on the valve itself, but I left it attached for the time being.

I think a 351W mechanical fuel pump block-off is the same dimensions as the EGR valve on the intake. It may be the 351C or something oddball like that because I'm pretty sure the 302 and 351W would be identical and I know it wasn't a 302 one because whatever size it was was something we don't stock at my store... Idk, quick search would probably turn up the correct one but there is SOME fuel pump block-off that fits perfectly over the EGR valve ports on the intake if you do remove the whole valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online