EGR valve alignment

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a 1995 GT and I had to take off the upper intake to change out a vacuum line. After bolting the intake back on I can't get the EGR valve to line up, and I'm getting frustrated. I'm sure the intake is seated properly, but the valve won't seem to sit low enough, as if the tube that goes into the exhaust manifold is holding it too high. Now the connection to the manifold has come loose.

So does this tube just thread into the exhaust manifold? Do I need to get under the car to get a wrench on it and get it tightened? Does anyone have any advice on how to get these things lined up and back together?

Attachments

• egr.jpg
    egr.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 11

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone? My EGR has been deleted for many years but it seems as if you can bend the tube some, it will help seat it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am just guessing that you unbolted all the intake bolts and tried to lift it off with the EGR still attached and bend the tube a bit? Or maybe just bumped it/leaned on it after it was disconnected but it doesn't really matter. I would try putting it on in exactly the opposite order to see if you can bend it back. Put the egr bolts back in and then see if you can get it straight enough to get the upper intake bolts back into place.

OP
OP
Texas_Black_5.0

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
I am just guessing that you unbolted all the intake bolts and tried to lift it off with the EGR still attached and bend the tube a bit? Or maybe just bumped it/leaned on it after it was disconnected but it doesn't really matter. I would try putting it on in exactly the opposite order to see if you can bend it back. Put the egr bolts back in and then see if you can get it straight enough to get the upper intake bolts back into place.

I appreciate your reply. I took the EGR off before I pulled the intake, but I'm sure I hit the tube or leaned on it or broke it somehow. Long story short I've pulled the EGR and destroyed the tube in the process. I'm looking into ordering a replacement for something like $20, or replacing it with some high temp soft line. Or just doing an EGR delete.

Thanks for the advice though, since I have your attention I've bought the factory service manuals for my car but I'm weak on terminology, so I don't always know what to search for. Is this the right forum for a guy with ongoing almost daily questions for his project? Like where is the vacuum line in the attached picture supposed to go to? And what is the name of the box with the vacuum tubes coming out the top that sits behind the passenger fender?

Do I ask those here or should I start/add to a thread somewhere else?
20200418_142511.jpg 20200418_143302.jpg 20200418_143315.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the pipe is broken go ahead and cut the bent/broken section out and you can use some soft line/vac line and hose clamps. You might get more responces in the 5.0 section

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
if the pipe is broken go ahead and cut the bent/broken section out and you can use some soft line/vac line and hose clamps. You might get more responces in the 5.0 section

I’ll move the thread to the appropriate section.

OP
OP
Texas_Black_5.0

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I went out and bought a new EGR tube and I've been trying to fight it on for days. The soft line/vac line won't melt from the heat??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen it done before so I know there are hoses that will hold up. But realistically its a band-aid and going to fail eventually...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen it done before so I know there are hoses that will hold up. But realistically its a band-aid and going to fail eventually...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell