El Mirage dry lake?

thetrex

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to spend about 8 weeks working in California this summer. While I was on the west coast I crossed off a few of my bucket list items; one of which was to visit El Mirage dry lake. I got to run my 99 v6 convertible out there and found the speed limiter at 115 a few times. It was a blast. Has anyone else taken their SN95 to El Mirage?

Pics from my trip:

Before:

After running a few times:

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Im not firmilar with the west coast, is that salt flats i see !? Looks fun ! :)

OP
OP
thetrex

thetrex

Reaction score
Im not firmilar with the west coast, is that salt flats i see !? Looks fun ! :)

It was a ton of fun! I totally recommend going out there if you are ever in the so cal area. The surface isn't actually salt. It's very hard packed silt (feels like concrete), so you don't have to worry about reducing your car to a pile of rust.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
After living on then west coast for 18 years, I am happy to announce that I have never heard of that place before in my life. Whereabout its this "el mirage"?

OP
OP
thetrex

thetrex

Reaction score
They have any safety requirements?
There are no safety requirements if you go out there on a day when the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) isn't running time trials. You pay $15 and go enjoy yourself. If you run with the SCTA there is a laundry list of safety items necessary.

Here is a car review at El Mirage… going 160... no safety equipment necessary…. :) my kinda place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUYzR5M-FU

After living on then west coast for 18 years, I am happy to announce that I have never heard of that place before in my life. Whereabout its this "el mirage"?

El Mirage is located in the small town of El Mirage, Ca about 100 miles from LA in the mojave desert. They have done land speed racing here since 1945. And they shoot a ton of car commercials out there.

El mirage is the red marker. It's quite small compared to dry lakes north of it, but they have been closed since they built Edwards AFB. However, El Mirage still remains open to the public. It only closes if there is water standing on the surface.

If you live in the San Diego area it's around 2 and a half hours away.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's the kind of place you want to take your car when your suspension, brakes, aero and power are all where you want them. No traffic or obstructions just wide open flat land.

*Open car wash across the street and get rich*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online