Electric Fan or Sensor

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Well, my fan is apparently not going to work on my Mustang GT today. 1996 model by the way. So i'm preparing my self for the worst in having to buy a new electric fan. I could have swore there was an after market on fans that let your car run better but I can't find one. So can anyone throw me links to some electric fans for a 1996 Mustang GT. The sensor i'm sure I can find.

ALITL8

Reaction score
i doubt its the fan itself, probably just the relay. i'd do what Matt said first

and for fans just :google2:

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Test your fan for voltage at it, you might just need to run a new switch plus thast good because you can have it on when ever you want.

I don't have a voltage meter and wouldnt know what kind to buy. Could you simplify what you mean for my small little mind. Can you recommend a voltage meter and where I put it. :angel: I truely am clueless. All I know is the Fan wont spend and smoke rolls up. This happened after I did something wrong :laugh: which caused the motor to get so hot it blew my coolent cap off. So I'm thinking the fan could have ran so hard it fried its self out. :noes: Either way now I have a coolent issue that I have no idea how to fix.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
Matt94GT said:
Test your fan for voltage at it, you might just need to run a new switch plus thast good because you can have it on when ever you want.

I don't have a voltage meter and wouldnt know what kind to buy. Could you simplify what you mean for my small little mind. Can you recommend a voltage meter and where I put it. :angel: I truely am clueless. All I know is the Fan wont spend and smoke rolls up. This happened after I did something wrong :laugh: which caused the motor to get so hot it blew my coolent cap off. So I'm thinking the fan could have ran so hard it fried its self out. :noes: Either way now I have a coolent issue that I have no idea how to fix.

Are you serious?

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Poke fun I guess but I havent EVER played with voltage meters. And wouldnt even know the right numbers too look for. I really like the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

ALITL8

Reaction score
okay tell us the whole "stupid" part and then we'll help you figure out what you did and what you need to do to fix it.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Stupid part would be, ::) I had a lot of my mind, and went several miles with the parking brake up. Which caused the motor to run hot. :slap: yes I know. STUPID. I just got done with finals at college and headed home. Now I dont know if I had the parking break the whole trip home or not. I just know when I got in my drive way it started smoking and coolent poured onto the street. Now my car is holding new antifreeze fine. Maybe a tube needs replace not sure. But when I opened the hood, the reservoir cap was blown off, which is probably were all the coolent came from. Shis morning the reservior kept smoking. As if its cracked or something. And I let it run and my temp gauge in dash went over to three o clock near way to hot yet my fan never kicked on. :drunk:

97vertstang

Reaction score
i say its a relay or the ect (engine coolant temperatur sensor).i have the wiring diagram with me and it seems the pcm gets the ect siganl then it energizes the relays to turn on the fan.dont do this unless u know and if someone doesnt agree or knows its wrong say it!!! but u can try jumping the wire feeding the electric fan to see if it works or turn ur ac on and check for voltage at either wire except the black one. if it doesnt than thats ur problem if it does or dont have voltage replace the relays, 3 of them, or the fuse .its ur call :dunno:

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I guess today I'll be visiting the local advance auto for a voltage meter.

ALITL8

Reaction score
so you say its holding fluid but smokes... have you cleaned the engine bay? there will probably be plenty of antifreeze around your engine if you blew the cap off. i'd say a relay or fuse for the fan but the liquid running over the fan could have fried it too... who knows. do you still have your factory plastic crossover on the intake? i would say take it in and have someone go through your cooling system unless youre a decent mechanic. you got it pretty hot and could have done more internal damage. was it knocking when you got home?

my car runs hot in the summer all the time... i think its a guage issue though. i have a print out from Ford that says its normal for these cars (96-98) to run between the M and L during the summer. its always done it and its never been hot enough to smell or lose any fluid so im not terribly concerned. im getting some Water Wetter this year to see if that helps keep it cooler ;)

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
For some reason, no more smoke and yet the fan will kick on now. Weird. No knocks, well the old knock is still there, the car has 215,000 miles on it 8). I guess you could say i'm restoring the car cause everytime something breaks I replace it with some nice stuff. I'm no mechanic, I know basics, I love to drive and drive hard. I just washed, clay bar, and waxed the stang today. Now I just got figure out how to post pictures on here.

ALITL8

Reaction score
glad to hear its all back to normal :)

post images: when you type in this little quick reply window, click "Preview". once the next page loads look towards the bottom of the text box for "Additional Options", click on it and attach your images ;)

thats the best i can do to help... hope it made sense :dunno:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
You can change out the thermostat to help it run cooler, throw in a 180 degree one, it should help this issue. So are you from Kentucky then?

ALITL8

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
You can change out the thermostat to help it run cooler, throw in a 180 degree one, it should help this issue. So are you from Kentucky then?

already have the 180* in ours... did that last summer. im in Oklahoma, i dont know exactly who were asking :dunno:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I was suggesting it to casey to help his "cool off". How do you like the 180 btw? I was thinking of doing mine this summer, but my car runs fine if not cool usually.

ALITL8

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
I was suggesting it to casey to help his "cool off". How do you like the 180 btw? I was thinking of doing mine this summer, but my car runs fine if not cool usually.

well mine still runs on the hot side... as the temperatures rise so does my needle. thats why im going to try the Water Wetter ;)

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Mine normally runs cool, but was being funny at the track last weekend. My upper hose almost went that day as well(3" in diameter when I opened the hood after my last run), I replaced it when I got home.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
well mine still runs on the hot side... as the temperatures rise so does my needle. thats why im going to try the Water Wetter ;)

Mine does the same thing but the thing is that i know i have a really tiny antifreeze leak....behind the part of the intake manifold almost near the firewall. Do you think you have antifreeze leak because before the factory intake blew it ran perfect in the summer. Stayed right in the middle of the R and the M! but my new intake manifold is not seated correctly on the motor so i have to get it fixed really soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online