Electric Water Pump Tested

ReplicaR

Reaction score
There is a pretty good article published by Hot Rod magazine, where they tested various combinations of electric and mechanical water pumps, and underdrive pulleys as well. All changes have been backed by dyno testing.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1201-baseline-testing-do-water-pumps-suck-power/

CN: The better electrip water pump (Mezeire) made a 4 BHP difference on a 530 BHP 372 CID SBC over mechanical water pump. Next time anyone tells you they are good for 10 to 15 hp on your stock 5.0 HO, you should think twice about their credentials.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's good to know. I thought it was more about a cleaner look than power saving though

95opal

Reaction score
For the $20 extra bucks the electric pump cost over the mechanical you get more than a couple of hp. The biggest benefit is the ability to cool the motor while its not running.
Thats a huge plus. Secondly it frees up a godly amount of space upfront and overall is just cleaner. You also have to remember the mehanical pump they used wasnt your ordinary stock pump and the march underdrive pulley isnt a cheap item either. If you took a stock 5.0 pump with your run of the mill underdrive pulley not only would you see an increase in hp for the electric pump but also an increase in cooling over the mechanical stocker.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
For the $20 extra bucks the electric pump cost over the mechanical you get more than a couple of hp. The biggest benefit is the ability to cool the motor while its not running.
Thats a huge plus. Secondly it frees up a godly amount of space upfront and overall is just cleaner. You also have to remember the mehanical pump they used wasnt your ordinary stock pump and the march underdrive pulley isnt a cheap item either. If you took a stock 5.0 pump with your run of the mill underdrive pulley not only would you see an increase in hp for the electric pump but also an increase in cooling over the mechanical stocker.

I don't ever hear anyone brag about how much space the electric pump saves, or anything else you just mentioned. #1 selling point of these things is that everyone claims that they free up a lot of power, which clearly they don't. There just isn't that much parasitic loss in the accessories. I hear the whole cooling motor while it's off, but that's mostly for drag racers in my opinion. Also, since we are comparing the pricing, let's do it for the 94-95 Mustangs. To my knowledge, the only "high flow pump" for this car that's actually any good (clean casting, anti-cavitation impeller, good bearings) is Stewart Components Stage 1, which is about 100 dollars. Other don't work on the the SN-95 specific timing cover for whatever reason. 100 dollars is far cry from a 400 dollars for an average price of Mezeire, sure as hell not 20 extra dollars.

95opal

Reaction score
I don't ever hear anyone brag about how much space the electric pump saves, or anything else you just mentioned. #1 selling point of these things is that everyone claims that they free up a lot of power, which clearly they don't. There just isn't that much parasitic loss in the accessories. I hear the whole cooling motor while it's off, but that's mostly for drag racers in my opinion. Also, since we are comparing the pricing, let's do it for the 94-95 Mustangs. To my knowledge, the only "high flow pump" for this car that's actually any good (clean casting, anti-cavitation impeller, good bearings) is Stewart Components Stage 1, which is about 100 dollars. Other don't work on the the SN-95 specific timing cover for whatever reason. 100 dollars is far cry from a 400 dollars for an average price of Mezeire, sure as hell not 20 extra dollars.

The 20 extra bucks was in reference to the components tested in the article you posted. I know all about the syewart pump.. Ran one on my NA set up its now collecting dust in the spare parts bin. The extra room isnt to important to na guys but when blowers and wayer pump pulley sizing become issues most guys will swap on a electric pump. Theres a million different teasons to go with an electric pump I just dropped a couple. Is it needed..no
Is it for everyone... no Does it have its place and purpose... That would depend on what that particular customer is trying to achieve. Again there is power to be freed up. How much? But you cant take that article and hold it as gospel for using or not using an electric pump. Dont forget there are also down sides to using an electric pump.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The 20 extra bucks was in reference to the components tested in the article you posted. I know all about the syewart pump.. Ran one on my NA set up its now collecting dust in the spare parts bin. The extra room isnt to important to na guys but when blowers and wayer pump pulley sizing become issues most guys will swap on a electric pump. Theres a million different teasons to go with an electric pump I just dropped a couple. Is it needed..no
Is it for everyone... no Does it have its place and purpose... That would depend on what that particular customer is trying to achieve. Again there is power to be freed up. How much? But you cant take that article and hold it as gospel for using or not using an electric pump. Dont forget there are also down sides to using an electric pump.

I didn't take anything and preach. I've got my own reasons for not using the electric pump, which include the price, and the fact that if it fails, it will stop cooling all together rather than just leak. The article however did show empirically that all these ridiculous claims about releasing good power are false. That was my point, even if you go to the first post and see cliff notes. Please read my posts carefully before coming to your conclusions.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
For those of you that used the Stewarts pump how do you like it? I always wanted one and now that I want more mods its definitely an option.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Honestly, no issues with it. But mine is a small block ford model, 4.6 pumps are a whole different deal. I'd assume they are just as good of quality as what I've got on my car, but can't vouch for that 100%. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they are better than part store variants.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how it could possibly release that much power. Sounds unlikely. If you're in it for better cooling, then it's a good part. If you're after 1-3 hp, I'd look elsewhere.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think deep down we all knew that there was no way in hell these were adding 30 hp although sure we were hoping for a little more then that test showed. But now remember that short of the pump dying completely that it is a safe way to free up hp. Everyone seems to love the idea of slowing down their water pump and heating up their alt to add the few hp the under drive pulleys add and unless your getting those used they tax you pretty well for some aluminum discs. Electric motors can run reliably for a very long time and hopefully if your putting that much into a pump you have the gauges and system to notice if its getting too hot if it does fail. The ability to cool things further while not running is never a bad thing although I am not sure how many of us here would use it. I probably would not have got mine if it were not for the deal I found on it myself but I am not afraid of it but then again I have the gauges to tell me if there is a problem.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I remember reading a giant thread on the marauder forums since those guys where trying to squeeze every little piece of horsepower out of there car since the 4V's weren't great with low end torque. I remember the pump having bigger rotor vanes, low friction bearing, and anti-cavitation at high rpm thats why it was recommended. The low friction bearing that the pump spins on freed up 1-3hp and on top of UDP's you would probably net around 5rwhp+/-. I know I would buy the pump for the superior cooling abilities then power but the extra power is the icing on the cake, plus if your running absolute N/A setup...I can see the allure to it.

95opal

Reaction score
For those of you that used the Stewarts pump how do you like it? I always wanted one and now that I want more mods its definitely an option.

If your in need of a pump stewart hands down. I ran it on my old combo for 5 years. Also had the high volume motorsport pump and wouldnt ever waist a dime on that junk . I have the sterwart stage 1 pump on the shelf if you want it $50 shipped its yours.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
If your in need of a pump stewart hands down. I ran it on my old combo for 5 years. Also had the high volume motorsport pump and wouldnt ever waist a dime on that junk . I have the sterwart stage 1 pump on the shelf if you want it $50 shipped its yours.

Mine is a modular, don't you have pushrod opal95?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online