Electrical Issues or something- HELP

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So my car has been giving me problems lately and I'm running out of ideas on what it is.

Lately, my car would need jumping off every couple of days. It wasn't really that big of a deal, I figured I had a drain or something, and I was going to check it out today. Well yesterday my car took a crap on me. I was on my way to a car show that I was in and as I was coming up on my stop sign, it like freaked out and died. By freaking out I mean, the RPMs jumped up a little and then the gauges sorta freaked and it died. So I pulled over and called a friend who lived a couple minutes away to come jump me off because my car wouldnt start. It was turning over, just not enough to start it. So she came over, we put on the jumper cables and tried it again. Then it started, and acted like it wasn't getting any gas, because it would sputter and die. I gave it gas while it was starting and it didnt help. I knew the car had gas so I wasn't sure what was up. I seemed almost like it might have been an ignition problem, like maybe it wasn't gettin enough fire to keep it going or something. Whatever the case, we called her dad and he told me to check and make sure it was getting fuel at the fuel rail which it was so he suggested I take my battery and make sure it was good. So we took it to the local Oreillys and the battery checkd out good. Got back, put it in and it occured to me to check the switch in teh back for the fuel pump or wahtever. Sure enough thats what it was. So started it up, went to the show, all good until yesterday night. Went to the movies and when I went to leave, it just barely started. Me and my friend went to Mcdonalds down the road to eat and after we got there, it wouldn't start. Ate, she jumped me off, and we went to walmart to get a few things and once again she had to jumpstart me to get me home. Got here and parked it. After every time I turned it off, I checked it I could start it again adn it would be hard, but it would start. This morning I decided to take my alternator off and have it checked because it was doing the same thing as my Bronco did when its alternator died. Took it to Oreillys and had it tested. Checked out good. Put it in, jump started it again. And drove it down the road to let the alternator do its job and charge up the battery. got back and turned it off, and tryed to crank it again and nothing, not even enough to turn it over. Roll started it down my hill and it cranked so I took off again adn drove longer this time. Came back and once again it wouldnt start. Nothing. no idea what it could be. Any ideas?

topless95

Reaction score
check your cables, and you may want to pop the starter off and have it tested.

slow5oh

Reaction score
if i were you i would take it to a ford dealership and they charge $80 to diagnose it but they always get it right so its worth it..but i had the same problem you are having on a 05 taurus and it turned out to be the alternator even though it showed it was good..but if i were u i would def take it to Ford

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
ck your battery cables. and grounds. you can use a jumper cable to help diagnose a bad batt. cable. i have found corrosion inside the insulation on a posative cable before.

john#21

Reaction score
I would check the grounds first. All of the 302 based vehicles I have owned had crappy ground cables that would corrode in the insulation and ultimately replacing those fixed my issues. Battery seemed dead, clicking starter, Suspect relay etc.

Fox

Reaction score
Use a voltmeter and check from a good ground on the chassis to the positive side of the battery. You should read app. 13.8 to 14 volts with the engine running.

topless95

Reaction score
make sure you check your cables for resistance. Just because a cable looks good doesn't mean it is.

armyed

Reaction score
That sounds like a bad alternator. When it was barely running were the RPMS on the gauge reading 0 when it was actually running? Do like the other guys say as well and check for grounds as that has been a big problem with them and check to make sure the alternator is pushing juice out while it is running.

Voltagecheck.jpg

VoltageRegulator.jpg

94kingcbra

Reaction score
You have some corrosion or a resistance to flow somewhere in your car's battery or starter cables.

1 Check your battery terminals and clamps for corossion, Clean them!
2 Then follow each cable and look for any crazy bends, pinches, or cracks.
3 You should have 2 grounds that connect to the block of your engine. One goes to the (-) terminal of your battery and the other should go straight to the frame and look more like a metal strap than a wire.
4 Take both of these off and clean the terminals and where they bolt up to.

***One other possibility is where the starter housing connects to the tranny. The starter grounds through the case, and if somebody had really dirty hands when they installed it, they just put high resistance in that circuit!...

This is what i'm thinking, your battery is good like you said, so, it just needs that extra juice from your buddy's car to get through that resistance. Where exactly is it? I don't know, you will need to diagnose it, and to do it right, you will need a multimeter. Test everything and find your problem before you start buying parts you might not need...Good Luck

Justin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.