Elrod's 5.0 Revival

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Glad to see it together and finally being sorted out!!! Progress FTW!!!

id ask [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] for insight about the radio wiring issues..

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna mess around with it here in just a bit and if I don't make things better I planned on piling it into a second thread/cry for help. Lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check your fuses for the dash lights not working. no not one specifically just pull/inspect them all and it will take less time and you can be sure they are all good. Probably does have to do with the orange wire you might have the wrong one. The radio not keeping memory is because it doesn't have 12v constant on the yellow wire to the deck. Checking fuses could fix this or there could be a fuse behind the radio blown.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
check your fuses for the dash lights not working. no not one specifically just pull/inspect them all and it will take less time and you can be sure they are all good. Probably does have to do with the orange wire you might have the wrong one. The radio not keeping memory is because it doesn't have 12v constant on the yellow wire to the deck. Checking fuses could fix this or there could be a fuse behind the radio blown.
Thanks for the input Scott! And yea that kinda dawned on me that it's probably what's wrong. The first time I hooked up the CD player the fuse in the back of the deck blew and I had to replace it. So why didn't I realize it then that there's prolly another blown fuse somewhere lol.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] blown fuse! #13 I believe for instrument illumination. I pulled the CD player out and found that the orange wire I was talking about had a nick in it I guess from when I was trying to get everything to fit behind the center bezel and that was causing it.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
yup that's all it takes.
Well, actually, it fixed my dash lights but the CD player still won't retain the settings, not sure what's up with that. Besides what you said about there not being a 12volt constant. Any thoughts?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have the yellow constant wire hooked up correctly then it could be another fuse that's bad. Did you check the box under the hood? Also be sure that you don't have the red/yellow wire swapped as it would cause the same problem

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Finally lowered the car today! I was gonna wait to do it but felt like being productive today! Eibach Sportlines, Steeda rear LCA's, new struts, and still have to replace the rear shocks and CC plates.

10492474_718859664848763_2158399544343340365_n.jpg

1908050_718859688182094_6646696331954060597_n.jpg

10430507_718859781515418_4177412510470040896_n.jpg

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Got the hookup today on a low mileage set of 3.73's out of my friends fox. My buddy owns the rear end right now and had planned on putting it under his 67 fastback, however he sold the car a couple weeks ago. Since he has nothing to stick the rear end under he said I can swap him back the original 3.08's from that rear end (which have been in my shop) for the 3.73's no charge! So not sure when I'll get around to getting the gears swapped or anything but hey I got a set of 3.73's for free! Can't beat that!

RichV

Reaction score
Get 'em swapped before he changes his mind!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Get 'em swapped before he changes his mind!
Shouldn't have to worry about that but I'm trying to move things along quickly as I can anyway. I bet a set of 3.73's will make the car a blast to drive even with the auto.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Also today I bought a set of front turn signal sockets and finally got turn signals/ parking lights up front again! The ebay lenses I bought had the headlight socket already but no turn signal, lame. Lastnight I began working on repairing my B&M hammer shifter I bought from the5.ohh and getting it ready to install. Nothing was really wrong with it other than the led gear indicator was missing and the overdrive button was missing. I bought a new indicator light and finished it up today, and I'm still looking for a suitable on/off push button for the overdrive...preferably something kind of low profile. When I'm done with it I'm gonna put all the pictures into a separate thread in case anyone needs that info in the future.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Updating this but no real progress has been made. I haven't moved the car from my house in about two weeks due to the filler neck seal in my gas tank finally giving out, and I'm currently waiting on a new one to come in the mail hopefully today. I figured in the mean time I might as well pull my old center console and start on my shifter swap....wrong. I got everything undone on the inside only to find out that I can't get the car lifted up high enough to get to the underside. So everything went back together for now...no big deal though, as soon as I change the tank seal it's going straight back to the shop where I can put it on a lift. My plan will be to knock out the shifter, rear brakes and shocks, and chin spoiler all at the same time while I have it up in the air! Hopefully I'll be able to start on that project by this weekend if everything goes right! Once that stuff is done it's going to an exhaust shop to have some work done on the H-pipe and I'll be set!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
So today I took it to the shop and put her up in the air. My fuel tank seals finally came in so I got that project knocked out first. The old seal going into the tank was rotted completely in half and I almost lost it into the bottom of the tank. It wasn't as bad of a job as I thought it would be having two tall jack stands under it for support. Next I swapped out my rear shocks, so easy a caveman could do it. Reinstalled my swaybar, then began working on the brakes where I ran into some more problems. Pictures don't even give any justice to how rusted up and just plain old everything under this car is. The rotors and pads and calipers are in terrible shape. Didn't think we would ever get the rotor broke loose and off the hub but we did thanks to a good ole hammer and some WD. However when we tried to get the piston in the caliper to compress we had no luck, not even using C-clamps....so for the moment we wound up putting all the old brake hardware back together and on the car so I could make a trip to the parts store. My guy at the O went ahead and ordered me a new set of calipers just in case, but also told me that when you're trying to compress the pistons on those calipers, you have to screw the piston in as you are compressing it....never heard of that but ok? So after a friend of mine gets off work today I may go back and give it one more shot...if that doesn't work then it looks like I'll have new pads, rotors and calipers for the rear!!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Love having access to this lift

2EBDDDB9-2930-4137-8AD4-E6D2CC3ACCA9_zps6hfmyihy.jpg

These are life savers if you're dropping a tank by yourself:

1421A751-2616-46E6-A95D-42EE396735C9_zpsqzfe0zth.jpg

Good n tight right there folks! I'll take/post a pic of the old seal in a bit...god it was in bad need of replacement. Ladies and gentleman, always replace your seal the first time you take your tank out :mustangchris:

B8B0533A-020A-4DA0-8A82-B042B560A607_zpsppcrrplp.jpg

Always use safety first and a good lubricant. Lol.

2E6BBFD4-AA0E-4E15-AAA7-389947840115_zpsdbrh4hap.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Nice! IIRC that seal is f'N $25!

Reaction score
Looking good man.Did you get the rear caliper issue squared away?Dont buy new calipers you can borrow the correct tool for turning and compressing those calipers from Autozone or Kragen for free.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Nice! IIRC that seal is f'N $25!
Funny thing happened...I bought a seal for $20 off ebay and wound up getting the upper filler neck seal that is square, not the one for the tank....then spent $30!!! on one at O'Reilly's and just went ahead and replaced em both. But yea $30 for a donut sized chunk of rubber?!?
Looking good man.Did you get the rear caliper issue squared away?Dont buy new calipers you can borrow the correct tool for turning and compressing those calipers from Autozone or Kragen for free.
Actually after posting this earlier a friend called and I told him what I ran into. He then told me about the tool you're referring to and I went and rented it out. So hopefully tomorrow evening I will have my caliper issue squared away and won't be out $130 on new calipers. Thanks for the info anyway man I appreciate it!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Rented the brake tool from the O and got my brakes done today. New pads and rotors :thumbsup:
Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I have another problem :mustangchris: Looks to be a bad injector. Car is running like crap just completely all of a sudden. I'll go into more detail in another thread shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online