Elrod's 5.0 Revival

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Old and busted vs new hotness. Those rotors were so f*cked up.

B89C0313-5AAE-4072-BCEC-548EB2F18798_zpsymnog9ws.jpg

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm getting anxious to see what kind of difference that intake and my roller rockers will make on the car!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score

Cobra Intake and Roller Rocker Swap
9-8-14

Cobra intake and roller rocker swap is done!!! My friend text me Saturday night and wanted to start on it then while it was cool and we worked til about 2:30 with plenty of food, drink, and 'watch this video real quick' breaks in between. Everything went pretty smooth except for removing the valve covers and cleaning the old gaskets off. The paint inside the heads from the machine shop caused the cork gaskets to stick like crazy glue and were a b!tch to get off. We fired it up Sunday morning after I had to make a trip to town for new intake bolts to finish it up. It had a miss coming from cylinder one that we couldn't explain. The plug was clean, wire was good, even tried a different wire. I found out today it was (most likely) being caused by a bad connection from my voltage regulator on the alt. so I got a new plug and will be changing it tomorrow morning. I need to take another daytime pic of the finished intake, and I still have to sand the paint off the lettering and polish it up. But for now it's doing good!! Picture time!

My carport turned into Colonel Cluster-fcuk!

Side one done:

Both sides done and lower intake on:

And a 'because Mustang' pic outside Walmart:

I even felt the need for an exhaust video :)
[video=youtube_share;2yGPqsEPyQM]http://youtu.be/2yGPqsEPyQM[/video]
Gotta love the overwhelming sound of the bug orgy in the background.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cork gaskets :snoopfacepalm:

Nice progress, can't wait to see what the future holds for this thing.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Cork gaskets :snoopfacepalm:

Nice progress, can't wait to see what the future holds for this thing.
Yea those weren't by my choice.

Next big projects on the list:
1: Getting a little exhaust work done, fitment isn't the best and needs new hangers. :handz:

2: Hammer Shifter and reinstalling my center console and installing my chin spoiler

C: New windshield then tint :)

4: Getting those FR500's by the end of the week. Then paint and new tires :headbang:

5: Probably around January/February will be going to the transmission shop to have the AOD gone through and 3.73's installed and rear end gone thru (bearings, seals etc.)

Im sure something else will be added to that list soon.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to it.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks man! It's still crazy to look at where it began and see where it is now. I will have owned it two years in November. It's made a pretty good journey since then.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work dude! Your gonna have fun bangin gears with that shifter. 3.73s will really wake it up!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work dude! Your gonna have fun bangin gears with that shifter. 3.73s will really wake it up!
I'm anxious to get that shifter in man! It's just been sitting in my spare room staring at me every time I walk by lol. I would do 4.10's like you but I'm getting the 3.73's for free I just have to pull em out of another car. That'll be a step ahead as well if I ever do go to a T-5!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm anxious to get that shifter in man! It's just been sitting in my spare room staring at me every time I walk by lol. I would do 4.10's like you but I'm getting the 3.73's for free I just have to pull em out of another car. That'll be a step ahead as well if I ever do go to a T-5!

Yeah stick with the 3.73s. I had to swap the 4.10s out when I went stick, had no first gear, 4th gear at 30 mph.. big rig drivin lol. 3.55s are perfect, but 3.73s are the best all around gear, perfect for sticks, autos too

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
My buddy took the car to the exhaust shop today and got everything fixed up! Now I no longer have one side held up with a janky hanger and the other side held up by braided bailing wire. I also picked up those FR500's today. For now they'll be going in the spare bedroom til I can save up the extra money for rear tires and having them painted.

Also so the car is finally running issue-free since the intake swap. Feels good to be able to drive it where ever I want!

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
That post^ was on 9/12/14....the last trip the car made was 9/13/14...it was on that day that I burnt a plug wire and I still haven't traced down my issue that's causing it to miss. But at the same time I've barely had any motivation to work on it so the fault is all my own. Sunday night I ordered some new plug wires from LMR which came in Wednesday. Today I finally changed them out but it made no difference. Tomorrow I'll be gone all day to a race so maybe on Sunday I'll go to work in it again and see what we can come up with.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Good progress man! Good luck with the burnt wire issue... This thing has come a long way

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
lol @ the video and the "bug orgy" that shit was funny :laughing4:

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Started on another project I had been putting off. I never sanded the paint off the letters on my cobra intake, so while I had the upper off to change my injectors I went ahead and got started.

After a light hit with a sander and some 80 grit, followed up by wet sanding with 1500. No where near perfect but it looks a lot better!

I want to paint the Cobra letters with some red paint and I think to start I'm gonna try to use some nail polish. Anyone used it for this application before? Or have something else you recommend?

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Also finally put my interior back together and cleaned the carpet and panels in my trunk which have been out since I bought the car two years ago. The center console, shifter bezel and radio bezel had all been out of the car since the first time I tried to change shifters to my B&M Hammer and never got reinstalled. So I finally set aside some time today and finished hooking up my Pioneer CD player and got everything put back in as it was, I'll focus on the shifter another day. While the console was out I did the fog light mod and spent a good bit of time cleaning and vacuuming under there as well as vacuuming the rest of the interior. Looks a lot better now that it's all back in place!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.