emissions testing states

lrall

Reaction score
With all the talk of emissions testing and whatnot, i want to know what states test and what years etc? Here in Nebraska we dont test for squat. I think we have to have mufflers but nobody checks haha

Downshift

Reaction score
Dont know all the rules for California, most of the counties test everything I believe to mid 70s cars. On my 93 Talon they tested everything. Couple counties up North dont test at all from what I have heard from a few people. No CARB number on most things and its an automatic FAIL.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
they do random checks up here in MA, if you got a pos car they they have to check it

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Chicago/ most parts of illinois.

Emission Test every 2 years. Cars must run with all factory cats.

96+ up are only tested with the computer scanner thingie. 96+ cars dont have to get on the runner and arent tested with a sniffer.

All cars are tested through the gas tank for something.

95 and below cars are all thrown on the rollers and given the sniffer test

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pa. has emissions testing, but each county is different. In Northampton county they check to make sure you have cats, all the emission controls are in working order, no check engine light, and vacuum test the gas cap. We don't stick the pipe, but other Pa. counties do. The real kick in the teeth is not all counties have emission testing.

The test is every year and it costs about $45.00.

ripper

Reaction score
NJ checks everything. One of the tuffest inspections in the nation. Inspecs are good for 2 yrs. BUT there are certified garages that also do inspections. So if you know someone you can get your car threw no problem. State inspection stations are free. Private are around $75.00.

95-stang

Reaction score
Certain garages here have MOT [Ministry of Transport] capability, and vehicles are tested by them , but basically they are working for the Ministry of Transport when they test your car, though they make money on the certificate and get a lot of repair work from failures.
In the UK its pretty straightforward , brand new cars need no test for the first 3 years, after that its every year, same for older cars obviously.
Theres all the usual check, lights, steering , suspension, seatbelts, tyres must have a minimum tread of 1.8 mm depth across the width no deep tears etc, bodywork, corrosion etc etc etc.
All cars made after 1991 need to pass a Cat test, before that its a standard gas test, if you go back to pre 65, you can get away with quite a bit.
Test takes about an hour and costs you £50 [$100] if it fails and you take it away, it costs you £25 for a re-test.
All Mot certificates are now registered on the national computer along with your insurance details, so any police car can soon check if your not playing the game.
To drive on the road you then need a Tax Disc [displayed in the front screen] which varies for the size of engine, ie my 1.8 focus is almost £200 per year. [$400] you cant purchase one without valid insurance or mot certificate.
Recently the police are now deployed with hand held number plate readers, details are checked with the computer, just having no tax disc can result in confiscation and the crushing of said vehicle.

ripper

Reaction score
Geez Louise :eek: And you guys gotta drive on the wrong side of the road :-\

95-stang

Reaction score
Too true, [shame as the muzzy is LHD], dearest petrol in europe [pretty well] nowhere to drive soon [more cars than road space] and we cant change the roads to LHD as it would cost a fortune for all the road signs\signals, you name it.
Cars are still made for our market with MPH speedo's [so much for being metric] if there's roadworks, most signs say the distance in yards, not metres, makes a joke of the whole thing.
I always thought the US was pretty tough on emmisions and stuff, i can see it varies. ;)

94Vert

Reaction score
ohio doesn't check anything and hopefully never will.

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
i think it would be hard for midwest states(read agricultural) to have testing, but obviously SOME do. I know out west here in nebraska none of the farmers would pass, trucks with god knows how many miles and that burn oil. Not to mention the grain trucks they use. I spose they would just test OBDII eh?....95 mustang here i come..hehe

Fros97GT

Reaction score
They run codes in Atl Metro Area....have heard they are going to visual ck for CATS in 08 :rant:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online