Engine acting up again... wth is going on !

MathieuG89

Reaction score
Well it looks like my car's running like shit again... I'm really starting to get annoyed by all the problems I've been plagued with. About a week ago I noticed my car pinging pretty bad on the highway during acceleration. I redid the timing as soon as I noticed it but made a mistake using the timing light I borrowed. I wanted to set the timing to 10 degrees but ended up setting it to 20 degrees. Took the car for a ride and it pinged real loud. Redid the timing and finally had it timed to 10 degrees. Fueled the car with premium fuel and car ran great and pulled pretty strong for the rest of the week. The only thing I noticed out of ordinary was the idle hanging during shifts.

On Thursday, left work and accelerated to merge onto the highway when some dumbass took a sharp right turn right in front of me. I had to press on the brake pedal real hard not to rear end him... tires squealed and my car went sideways a couple feet or so. It then ran normally all the way home... Next morning as I'm heading to work, the car is sputtering like hell and lags on acceleration, the engine is also vibrating real hard... Ever since I've had the car there's been a slight exhaust leak but now it seemed twice as loud.

The car shakes so bad that I stopped using it the same day in fear of breaking the crank or burning the bearings. I have also ordered a new Ford Racing harmonic balancer since the one I have has the rubber dried and cracked all around. I haven't had the time to install it yet though but I have a feeling that's not the problem.

Yesterday I changed all the Motorcraft copper sparkplugs for NGK Iridium IX. I thought one of the plugs might have been fouled by the problems I've had with the car recently. They all looked identical but weren't gapped correctly. Gapped the new plugs at .050 before reinstalling. As I was re-routing the spark plug wires to prevent crossfire I accidently yanked the vacuum that goes from the thermactor diverter valve to the tad solenoid. I capped both ends as I'm planning on removing the whole thermactor air system anyways. Now as soon as I gently press on the throttle body or gas pedal the whole engine choke and dies. If I floor it on the other hand it lags like hell before picking up and revving.

fran5o

Reaction score
Stock engine? Cam? Fuel pressure?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
I would open the gap on the spark plugs a little but that isnt the cause of your problem. It sounds like a bad maf. Are any codes thrown?

OP
OP
MathieuG89

MathieuG89

Reaction score
Engine is stock except for K&N air filter, 24lbs calibrated C&L MAF housing, 24lbs injectors and Walbro 190LPH fuel pump... made a video of the engine acting up and pulled codes

KOEO codes : 565

KOER codes : 116, 314, 311

07GtS197

Reaction score
Disregard the codes for now. Like I said it sounds to me like your maf is going. Unplug it and run it that way to see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
MathieuG89

MathieuG89

Reaction score
Disregard the codes for now. Like I said it sounds to me like your maf is going. Unplug it and run it that way to see if it makes a difference.

I unplugged it and it did! So I re-installed my old Ford MAF and the car doesn't choke and die like in the video anymore! For the first time in a few days I got to drive my car around the block, what a relief... I know something is still wrong with the car, there's a very distinct exhaust leak somewhere that I'll try and adress this week along with the harmonic balancer I haven't had the time to install yet.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Oh good. Calibrated maf's have a bad stigma as theyre not calibrated. What they do is under report airflow to get the larger injectors to lessen pulsewidth. A tune is much better when swapping injectors. I would tackle the exhaust leak now as it will only get worse and probably isnt helping lol.

OP
OP
MathieuG89

MathieuG89

Reaction score
Installed a new harmonic balancer today, didn't make as big a difference as I expected but had to be done regardless... now I need to adress the exhaust leak

OP
OP
MathieuG89

MathieuG89

Reaction score
Looks like I found the issue ...

Swapped sparkplugs : Misfire Cylinder 7

Swapped wires : Misfire Cylinder 7

Swapped cylinder 5 and 7 injectors : Misfire Cylinder 5

I have a dead injector :sad5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics