Engine Bay Cleaning - Very Easy way to make it look new

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
I have long looked for a simple way to get an engine bay spotless without braking my back in the process to no avail. Earlier this week I was reading up on engine bay detailing and I ran across a very good write up on a WRX forum on engine bay cleaning. I figured I would give it a go and it worked out pretty awesome so I figured I would do it again and take some pics to share the wealth. I must apologize as I dont have a very good before picture because I did this two days ago so it was already clean. I can say though that it was pretty bad before. Grease stains and hand prints all over from all of the work that has been done recently as well as lots of dust and dirt.

A few tips before we get started.
1. Do this on a cold motor. A hot motor will cause the water and cleaner to evaporate too quickly and it will not be as effective
2. Do this with the motor OFF. With the motor running electricity is running all over the place and the motor is also heating up,
Im not sure who came up with the idea that you need to clean your engine bay with the motor running but they were wrong. Thats a quick
way to screw some stuff up. There is no need to disconnect the battery or anything, just use common sense. If you have a
open air filter cover it up with a plastic bag, Dont go spraying high pressure water into your fuse box. Engine bays were designed to get wet,
your not going to hurt it as long as your smart about it.
3. Take the hood liner out. This thing is a dirt trap and aids in engine heat soak. If you dont need it, remove it. This part is optional but as you will see in the photos I took mine off. the guy that did the original write up has been doing this for years and has never had a problem with engine heat affecting the paint on the hood.

First we will start with what you need to get the job done.

A simple multi-head spray nozzle, you can pick one up for pretty cheap if you dont already have one.

A small scrub brush and a soft bristled tooth brush comes in handy if you really want to get in there like I did.

A bottle of Simple Green. You can get it at Wal-Mart and most parts stores. You can find the gallon jug concentrate in the hardware section of wal-mart.
I mixed mine at about a 1:1 ratio simple green to water. you can adjust the ratio anyway you want all the way up to full strength depending on how much grease cutting you will have to do.

Start by taking off the hood liner. This can be done with a long flat head screwdriver. Slide it under the hood retainers as close to the center as you can get it and twist the screw driver. They should pop out pretty easily. On the passenger clip closest to the hood hinge might be a ground strap you need to disconnect depending on the model your working with.

Hose down the engine bay until everything is pretty wet and then apply generous amounts of Simple Green covering the entire engine bay.

This is where you can go in one of two directions depending on how dirty your car is or how much effort you want to put into this project. The original write up didn't include anything about scrubbing but I found you get better results with a light scrub. It didn't take much as the simple green does a great job. If no scrubbing is necessary then let the simple green soak for 5 minutes and wash it all off. Its that easy.

Here is the under hood after a light scrub. I had to reapply some of the cleaner from time to time.

When your all finished I would advise going for a little drive to evaporate all of the water from the engine bay. I haven't done it yet but I plan on getting some moters plastix and going over all the black pieces in the engine bay. It was 105* Outside today and I barley broke a sweat. The results speak for themselves. Don't be shy about popping that hood again. The guy from the original write up suggests doing this once every 2-3 months to keep it looking it top shape.

Enjoy!

TanTop94

Reaction score
Ill do my best! My engine bay is just old and not very exciting so Ill try lol.

Justang

Reaction score
Good work! I feel like this is one of the areas people are a bit intimidated by in terms of cleaning. It's so easy! The toughest part is when you have to wait, which means get started on those tires because they're probably looking a little sad. Just a few things to add from my experiences:

Yes, certainly work with a cool (and non-running) engine.
Perhaps I am over-cautious but I always cover up the battery, alternator and air filter. They can be cleaned properly at another time. I also think it's a good idea to hose down the front bumper, fenders, etc. to dilute any stray chemicals that find their way outside the engine bay.
I personally like to work in small sections with my APC instead of blanketing the entire bay at once. That's just a preference thing.
Definitely no need to use a jet/stream setting with the hose, as that risks damage. Mist or drizzle setting is usually plenty.
One of my favorite tools for this job? Toothbrush. An assortment of brushes and rags are really all you should need.
After cleaning and a good rinse, running the engine with the hood closed for a bit should take care of most of the drying. Grab a microfiber to dab up what remains. If you're sick and twisted and like getting strange looks from the neighbors, you can use a leaf blower instead......okay I only did that once I swear!
As for dressing, my current weapon of choice is CD2. Different products may have different cure times and application procedures so act accordingly.

Oh yeah, and always take some pictures! Make it fun. It's nice to admire the difference your time and effort makes.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I have been chicken to wash down mine too. My wife & I have been cleaning by hand & toothbrushes up to now but there are still areas that never get clean enough & will show up in engine bay pics. Think I will give this a try. Now I have to decide on removing the hood liner or spay painting it...I'll remove it & clean the hood to see if it looks as good as yours then decide. Good write up! Thanks!

chris91

Reaction score
One thing you have to be careful with simple green is if you use it fairly strong it is likely to discolor plastic and will eat paint. You will scrub the paint right off the strut towers if you aren't careful. Been there, done that.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe I just have terrible luck but the last time my buddy and I cleaned my engine was early spring when I just got the motor put back together. We used wheel cleaner on it since it's pretty strong stuff too. Everything came out all nice and clean but the problem I had was water got up under my coil packs and down into the chamber there and caused major misfiring... We only had it on shower setting too. Then for a looooong time after that every time it would rain I would get misfiring again until I pulled the coils and vacuumed the water out. Only just recently has it survived the rain, and hell even the laser wash. Like I said maybe it's just my bad luck, who knows, but just thought I'd throw that out there that if you get a misfire just pull the coils and check for water. Obviously if you do don't pull the plugs until you get the water out lol. I found using a skinny corner attachment and a piece of rubber hose taped to the end of it and then a McDonald's straw inside the hose (my hose kept sliding over the plugs, which would be great if I was taking them out. If your hose is smaller you won't have to do this) and it worked like a charm

Great write up man, hopefully it makes people a little less scared to tear into their engines!

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Just to add... I went from this

photo9.jpg

To this

20130412_175125_zps97c03df0.jpg

Which led to this lol

1004742_10151673912983909_600386944_n_zps88cc195f.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea that's common on the 2v cars Joey .... I love simple green , Chris is right if you mix it to strong it can discolor plastics and eat some paint up I always make sure to add water I've used this stuff on a bunch of my motors from my f350 to multiple mustangs , tahoe , Burban , trailblazer .

teal95gt

Reaction score
I will for sure try this once I get my ride back in a few weeks and will post before and after pics, yours came out really clean. I doubt mine will clean up that well haha.

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
As mentioned, on 2-valve cars, if the COPs get too wet, or if water gets down in the spark plug wells, it's likely to cause problems. Personally seen it happen on several cars. I'd advise removing the COPs and putting something in the spark plug wells (foam, rag, paper towel, etc.) to absorb as much water as possible.