Engine cleaning

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a thorough cleaning, top and bottom, of my engine and engine compartment? Third week owning my ‘95 Cobra coupe and I not only want a clean engine but also to see where any leaks are, etc.

Thanks for any/all recommendations and pointers

joe65

Reaction score
find a good degreaser. divide the bay into parts and work on one section at time. I've found that using lots of rags and shop towels and i spray and wipe...takes time but is worth it.

joe65

Reaction score
If the engine is caked on oil I'll use oven cleaner

i discovered that trick last year on some wheels with years of brake dust caked on. cleaned them up pretty decently.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you need to be careful with oven cleaner because its caustic and can take the anodized finish off of any aluminum parts. There are plenty of degreasers that do a great job with out this fear. There are wheel cleaners that are basically the same thing and then you just need to be careful your girlfriend doesn't get a hold of it. I came home one time to find to my amazement she was washing her car, I had never seen her do it before in 3 yrs of dating. As I walked in the garage I saw she had my wheel cleaner that I used on my rangers aluminum wheels and knew it wasn't going to go well on her chrome plated hubcaps of her cavalier. Sure enough I walked back to see the wheels were now white and there was a semi shiny residue on the ground in front of them and of course SHE WAS MAD AT ME when I pointed out it says on it not to use on plastic parts........

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I feel bad. I posted the “before” picture but haven’t cleaned it yet. And I know you’re ALL waiting with baited breath to see the “after” pic(yeah right!). LOL
But I do have Wednesday off, so hopefully then…

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
A tooth brush becomes very handy since a little bit of elbow grease may be needed. And I agree about strength of industrial solvents - best not to use things that are too strong. I'd rather use something a little less acidic and make up for the cleaning power with my own effort and elbow grease.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got around to doing it. Pretty happy with the results!

Attachments

• 105F8109-5EC8-4A52-AD93-90D219B70C29.jpeg
    105F8109-5EC8-4A52-AD93-90D219B70C29.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would be careful wrapping the alt with foil though as if you touch that lug on the back to the chassis you will know it.
I’m hip! Not a super tight wrap with the foil covering the alternator. Plus the trash bag draped over. Worked fine.
But as always, thanks for looking out for me!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use simple green for things like this. I keep a pump sprayer for cleaning the sidexside handy
I definitely would have gone with the Simple Green…. if I had some! Bottle was bone dry, dernit!

optionizerSS

Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean the intake and the aluminum?. I have a 1995 that is pretty clean but want it looking like new

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the stock intake just has a grey powder coat. Some simple green and a brush/sponge should be ok. Are you trying to polish the aluminum or just clean it up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online