Engine Drop Mounts

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In the market for a 96-97 GT currently and the plan is to put a Kennebell 2.8LC with the mammoth intake on it. My goal is to use the car for everything from drag racing to auto-x to open track so I'd like to fit a strut tower brace on as well. My initial thought was to use the Cervinis Heat Extractor hood which is modeled after the 03 Cobra hood and the Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower brace that is designed to clear a Kennebell 2.1 or Whipple 2.2.

In talking to Kennebell they said the 2.8 supercharger is almost identical to the 2.1 but the clearance issue I will have is the mammoth intake which is about 1.25" taller than the stock intake. I'm hoping I can just use some drop mounts on the motor to get the clearance I need to fit the bigger supercharger and mammoth intake under that strut tower brace.

Does anyone know what the biggest drop mounts that are available are for modular motors in an sn95? Trying to figure out now if this is going to work or if I need ot go back to the drawing board.

garrittpwl

Reaction score
K member spacers(mmr has 1/2inch ones but you can find 1 inch ones on ebay) mind you will want a bump steer kit for this as well and a set of coil overs to lower the body back down and caster camber plates to fix the issues that come with lowering the front. I know guys run stock 5.4 with 1 inch intake spacers and a stock intake (overall about 1.75 inches taller than stock) with a stock hood but typically have to cut a section of the understructure of the hood out.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
K member spacers(mmr has 1/2inch ones but you can find 1 inch ones on ebay) mind you will want a bump steer kit for this as well and a set of coil overs to lower the body back down and caster camber plates to fix the issues that come with lowering the front. I know guys run stock 5.4 with 1 inch intake spacers and a stock intake (overall about 1.75 inches taller than stock) with a stock hood but typically have to cut a section of the understructure of the hood out.
Right, that's why I was going to use the Heat Extractor Hood. Supposed to have more clearance than the stock hood even though it's not a cowl hood.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always thought the heat extractor would have less space the way it dips down. I considered it when I got a hood but I needed a little extra space around my alternator funny enough.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The space under that hood is created by how they essentially removed all there material in the center of the hood to make room for the blower on the 2003 Cobra.

Heat Extractor Under Side:
1632657160393.png

Ram Air Under Side:
1632657333309.png

You can see how much more exaggerated the angles are on the perimeter to maximize space and how much more space is available especially back towards the cowl area. The 2003 Cobra/Heat Extractor hood is basically like having a cowl hood without the rise. Not quite as effective but certainly provides more space.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You have to watch out putting these spacers on the k member or even drop mounts. It lowers the nose of the transmission and changes the angle of the driveshaft. This can lead to vibration, bearing failure in the trans or diff, and even u-joint failure. Just make sure to keep all this in mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online