Engine fan speed issue (low speed)

Blackstang

Reaction score
Hi
I have an issue with my engine fan, low speed does not come on on my 1994 GT 5.0 causing my engine running very hot and I have done my homework and searched the net for information. High speed works (but as you know it comes in very late and does not run for long) and also in A/C mode at any temp, then with A/C temp goes to normal but that is not how it should be.
What i have done and checked so far.
  • Fuse OK
  • Temperature sensor for fan replaced (Motocraft)
  • Measure pin 14 on CCRM no power when temp goes high
  • Direct power (override) to fan OK
  • Override pin 14 with cable from battery ; fan works CCRM OK
  • Checked for Oxide on PCM cale socket, no problem but cleaned up anyway
  • It is hard to measure on PCM but most likely there is no power from pin 55

My conclusion is that the problem is inside the PCM but I have not found anywhere the PCM could cause fan issues, but theoretically it could I suppose. Anyone have had this problem? I can change the PCM if I have to but would like to be pretty sure that this is the problem coz it is expensive. Can also mentioned that the radiator have been replaced but I am confident that there are no air pockets left in general but could I have caused an air pocket at the temperature sensor when changed?

Preferably I would not like to mount a manual fan swith but if that is the last option, I could do so.

Should I do a KOEO test? I red about it but has never done it. Could it be an air pocket at the temperature sensor? Could a ford dealer measure anything from the diagnose socket? Like the signal from the temp sensor? All help would be appreciated.

Best Regards from Sweden

BigBore96

Reaction score
Im not much help with narrowing down wiring issues but Have you considered having the high speed fan on anytime the key is on?

It's very easy to do by just grounding it down near the ecu. If interested I can probably find a write up somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Blackstang

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, maybe it could be an alternative for sure. Better than a manual switch in my opinion. If you find a write up or something it would be appreciated.

BigBore96

Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Blackstang

Reaction score
No problem.

Something else to easily check. Unplug the fan and inspect the connector. I've seen one side or the other melt and fail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I checked the connector and low speed works if I put direct power pin 14 on CCRM(signal cable from PCM to activate low speed) that signal is missing from PCM. So should be cable failure or PCM in my opinion.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I checked the 60 Amp fuse in the fuse box in engine compartment, but high speed is working.
just to be stupid check ALL the fuses big and little. You will find it only takes about 2-3 mins, less time than it takes to find the correct page on fuses in the manual and then you can be sure they are all good. You would be surprised how often you can find a fuse that seems to have nothing to do with the problem at hand but it was the problem.

OP
OP
B

Blackstang

Reaction score
just to be stupid check ALL the fuses big and little. You will find it only takes about 2-3 mins, less time than it takes to find the correct page on fuses in the manual and then you can be sure they are all good. You would be surprised how often you can find a fuse that seems to have nothing to do with the problem at hand but it was the problem.
Yes why not, easy check will do so. Sometimes the easy checks are forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online