Engine feels weird/Data reading

chief814

Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this forum to get some help on my 01 mustang, it is 4.6 2v. I've been getting weird idle hesitation. it actually calmed down some since i cleaned my IAC, but when the engine is warm and i reach speeds of 40-50 the car just feels like it wants to die, it bucks. I tested alternator for excessive ripple since someone from another forum said that can cause the Cam sensor to be off, but alternator tested good. I have some live data when engine is warm which to me does not look good. Between the 3 samples, the middle sample percentage load had increased, as the o2 sensors also changed. I've been to numerous forums and no one seems to wanna help or even bother giving their opinion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Number of DTCs stored in this ECU 0
Fuel system 1 statusCL
Fuel System 2 status--
Calculated LOAD Value(%)29.4
Engine Coolant Temperature(¡£C)98
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 1(%)-0.8
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1(%)5.5
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 2(%)2.3
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2(%)2.3
Fuel Rail Pressure(gauge)(kPa)270
Engine RPM(rpm) 722
Vehicle Speed Sensor(km/h)0
Ignition Timing Advanece for #1 Cylinder(¡£)16.0
Intake Air Temperature(¡£C)23
Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow(g/s)5.70
Absolute Throttle Position(%)18.0
Location of Oxygen SensorsB1S12--B2S12--
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 1(V)0.905
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 1(%)-1.6
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 2(V)0.115
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 2(%)N/A
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 1(V)0.770
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 1(%)-2.3
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 2(V)0.835
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 2(%)99.2
OBD requirements to which vehicle is designedOBDII
----------------------
Fuel system 1 statusCL
Fuel System 2 status--
Calculated LOAD Value(%)43.9
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 1(%)-3.1
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 2(%)-3.9
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2(%)2.3
Fuel Rail Pressure(gauge)(kPa)267
Engine RPM(rpm) 742
Ignition Timing Advanece for #1 Cylinder(¡£)12.0
Intake Air Temperature(¡£C)24
Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow(g/s)6.97
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 1(V)0.085
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 1(%)-0.8
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 2(V)0.235
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 1(V)0.000
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 1(%)-1.6
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 2(V)0.045
----------------------
Fuel system 1 statusCL
Fuel System 2 status--
Calculated LOAD Value(%)29.8
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 1(%)1.6
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 2(%)0.8
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2(%)1.6
Fuel Rail Pressure(gauge)(kPa)273
Engine RPM(rpm) 790
Ignition Timing Advanece for #1 Cylinder(¡£)12.0
Intake Air Temperature(¡£C)23
Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow(g/s)6.70
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 1(V)0.915
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 1(%)0.0
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 2(V)0.135
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 1(V)0.075
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 1(%)3.1
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 2(V)0.065

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Fill out an entire thread 10pages of questions and guesses only to find out the op did a mail order tune on the car 6months ago and turns out to be the root of the problem. Probably why no one replied on those other sites.

I tell you what,...State milage, mods done, parts swapped, wrecked, flooded, electro magnetic pulsed, crapped on......you did good showing a run down of sensors, but lets figure out why she is running bad.

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
as far as i know tune is stock, no major mods rather than 3.5 in magnaflow catback, CAI but still uses stock maf. never been in a wreck or flood. motor in it has 49k, body 95k

07GtS197

Reaction score
The load is a little high for idling. Youre going to need to datalog and send one of us a tune file to check out. Its probably going to be an ignition issue though. If it runs ok at wot but under moderate load then you can rule out fuel and tune.

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
How can i send a you a tune file? Sorry im new to all of this. Car runs good low speeds, if i floor it, the car doesnt buck when getting to 50, some hesitation when coming to a stop, but never a stall. Car warms up, when i am getting close to 50, it just bucks untill i let foot off gas

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
I apologize for the spam, so i decided to warm the car up and see if i can capture live... i readied up the data to record and right when it started to happen, and as i record it stopped, this was actually a small buck, and after the ride seemed ok. i have the recorded live data that i will post here, it was recorded while driving and not from idle that i will send to you guys via email or however since characters are limited

(Forgot to mention, spark plugs are a week old, they are OEM. COP however are still original)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Could water/coolant be getting into the plug holes? Usually a leaking thermostat housing is the culprit

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
Actually maybe, when i did the swap, i had put a new gasket... but it never wants to set, it just leaks.... not a lot but it does.. and i still have the idle jumps when cold... but not as much since i cleaned the IAC, and i cleaned the MAF just incase today

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
they are dry as of right now, before i put new plugs there was a lot of moisture. but right now they are fine. would i need new COPs since water was in contact

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Bucking at 40-50mph in an automatic? Sure it's not TC shudder? I know it's more common in older vehicles, but I'd not rule it out. When was the fluid last changed, and are you sure they used Mercon V? What's the color/smell of the trans fluid?

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
I cant remember when fluid was last changed, but the color is red/pinkish. Doesn't smell like its burned or anything, slight petroleum smell.

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
The best way i can describe it is this. When i reach upwards of 50, not always judging from last night, but sometimes. The car feels like it is hesitating while driving. It maintains speed, but it feels like a constant rpm jump. Althought the RPM look fine.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
When it does this, have you ever quickly stabbed the gas just a bit to make the tc unlock? Does it then go away? If it won't act up with the tc unlocked, I'd look into that. If it's​ still doing its thing even with the tc unlocked, then I'd suspect it's ignition related.

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
Actually, i just seen an example of TC shudder, and my problem sounds nothing like it. Mine sounds like its running outta gas, but wont stall

Silver95bird

Reaction score
TC shudder feels a bit like rumble strips. It's usually worst in 4th, though still can happen in 3rd as well. High load, low speed, kind of city traffic conditions. If you're data logging, I know the tcc does have parameters in the EEC, look for that if you want confirmation. What to do if you suspect tc clutch shudder/chatter? Start with a fluid change. Not a crappy jiffy lube job, a real change. Drop the pan, change the filter, and rotate the engine to uncover the plug in the tc and drain it as well. Use only Mercon V fluid. Just as a hint, undo the rear bolts first and work back and forth to the front. Failure to do so will result in your getting covered in trans fluid. Don't Make the same mistakes I did, lol. Oh, and no, it won't come out of your clothes. I'll let you figure out how I learned that many years ago.

OP
OP
C

chief814

Reaction score
My problem doesnt sound like rumble strips, it feels mostly like a stumble

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Nice, I just missed your edit. What about a leak in the #4 by the heater outlet? The manifolds are unfortunately known for leaking there as well. And don't assume the coil is junk just because a little water weeped in the well. You do drive in the rain, right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online