Engine oil consumption question

dcm0123

Reaction score
Unfortunately they may have not installed the oil control rings properly considering the mess they left you with. They are supposed to be clocked at a certain angle to each other and the expander ring ends must not overlap each other.
You need special tools to install the pistons such as ring compressors. You maybe better off finding someone to do this for you if you do not have experience doing this.
They need to inspect everything before parts are ordered. If the bore is oversize or not machined properly you may need to have the block machined and install a larger diameter piston and rings.

You may want to try a different PVC valve. They have different size holes which controls the amount of vacuum flow through them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've had the OEM one installed for now, we will see how it goes from there. Probably won't get to pulling the upper intake off until next year anyway, to see if I have lower intake manifold gasket issue.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Got some seat time this weekend, and unfortunately the oil consumption is still a major problem. It doesn't smoke as much out of the tail pipe, but it still went down a very significant amount on the dipstick. Looks like I'm pulling the motor this summer.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
if it is that bad its strange your not seeing it in the exhaust.
If I do a some hard revs, I can see oil residue on the floor behind the car. Also, I pulled #4 spark plug, because it's easiest to get to, and it's completely covered in oil around the thread, the tip is totally black, in surprised I've got any spark at all. I'll pull the rest this week, put new ones in there, but these were changed maybe a few months ago.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I do a some hard revs, I can see oil residue on the floor behind the car. Also, I pulled #4 spark plug, because it's easiest to get to, and it's completely covered in oil around the thread, the tip is totally black, in surprised I've got any spark at all. I'll pull the rest this week, put new ones in there, but these were changed maybe a few months ago.

Just recently I discovered my valve covers where not tight enough and that oil was dripping down from them onto the plugs. Rub your hand on the bottom of the valve coves and see if its oily

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Valve covers are fine, no leaks there. This oil was from the part of the plug that was in the cylinder

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
QnTGITF.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Ok, I've replaced all the spark plugs today. Here is the condition of the existing spark plugs, when I pulled them out, all numbered by the cylinder banks.

XBEfNJP.jpg

LenDo7c.jpg

They all have a bit of what looks like oil fouling. The PVC has been reverted back to OEM setup, where as before I've had nothing, just venting into catch can. I still have to hook up the valve cover vent into the intake, because at the moment that vents into atmosphere as well. Looks like cylinder #1 and #3 are pretty bad, #3 being particularly oily. #1 plug was completely loose, I was able to take it out by hand, so it may be possible that #1 was external oil leak (valve cover leak) that leaked inside. Next up I will pull the upper intake manifold and inspect the lower ports to see if there is any oil build up in there, which would warrant the lower manifold gaskets to be replaced.

Any other thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online