Engine oil dipstick

J_lope82

Reaction score
I recently bought a 96 mustang GT with 4.6L 2V. It has a PI swap including heads, cams, and intake. It came with a lokar aftermarket dipstick but it’s all messed up and leaks oil. I am trying to find the correct dipstick for this set up and I prefer OEM style to reduce chances of oil leaks. Would anyone have the right part and or part number? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I don’t have a part number for you, but the dipstick first your model car will work. It doesn’t change for the pi swap.

Now the lokar, where is it leaking? I’ve used them a couple times (last one was for a 2v), where is yours leaking? Did the previous owner cut it to length and mount it correctly? Could you post some pictures?

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I’m sorry, I don’t have a part number for you, but the dipstick first your model car will work. It doesn’t change for the pi swap.

Now the lokar, where is it leaking? I’ve used them a couple times (last one was for a 2v), where is yours leaking? Did the previous owner cut it to length and mount it correctly? Could you post some pictures?
Looks like they cut both the dipstick itself and the tube. They cut the braids on the tube at the bottom and are sticking out and they used some kind of epoxy to try to seal it up. They also put a lot of silicone where it goes into the block. That’s where it leaks from. Another thing they did was that they cut the dipstick too short so it doesn’t measure correctly. I figured just get a new dipstick and start from scratch. I just did a new oil change with the correct amount of oil so I know the engine is filled to the correct amount with oil.

so do you think the lokar would be a good option? I am not opposed to buying a lokar as well I just don’t have much experience with lokar, I don’t know how well they work and hold up.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Looks like they cut both the dipstick itself and the tube. They cut the braids on the tube at the bottom and are sticking out and they used some kind of epoxy to try to seal it up. They also put a lot of silicone where it goes into the block. That’s where it leaks from. Another thing they did was that they cut the dipstick too short so it doesn’t measure correctly. I figured just get a new dipstick and start from scratch. I just did a new oil change with the correct amount of oil so I know the engine is filled to the correct amount with oil.

so do you think the lokar would be a good option? I am not opposed to buying a lokar as well I just don’t have much experience with lokar, I don’t know how well they work and hold up.
I like the lokar because it’s easy to fit it through the headers where the stock one can be a real pain in the butt. They butchered the shortening job on that thing. I never had a problem with mine sealing up and it ran for a few years without issue. A buddy is still using it today, so there are no problems with reliability as long as it’s installed correctly.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I like the lokar because it’s easy to fit it through the headers where the stock one can be a real pain in the butt. They butchered the shortening job on that thing. I never had a problem with mine sealing up and it ran for a few years without issue. A buddy is still using it today, so there are no problems with reliability as long as it’s installed correctly.
I’m hearing the oem style dipsticks are a pain in the ass to install.

95opal

Reaction score
Another vote for lokar dont waist time or money on a stocker.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a lokar. Any advise of where to attach it up on top to? Any pics would be cool, thanks!!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Both.
I started with the tube, put it in place and routed it how I wanted it, then measured how long it was. Take the end apart and cut that much off. Then I took that same amount off the dipstick itself. You could even put the correct amount of oil in the car (6.5 qts is what I recommend), shove the long dipstick tube in there and measure how far over the oil is and cut that much off the cable.

I always lay my cable on some steel then hit it with a sharp chisel and a hammer to cut it.

Akurma

Reaction score
Can you use the OEM dipstick on the Lokar tube? Reason I ask is because I ordered a Lokar kit as I needed a new tube and wasn't about to spend over $100 on just a OEM tube. However I don't want to have to worry about the oil level on the dipstick being inaccurate as I have heard the Lokar dipstick can be.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Ok I got a new lokar and installed it. No problems and it looks like it should seal properly. Just had to cut the bottom part of the tube where it goes inside the block about 1/4” and then used the old lokar dipstick and cut it to the correct length.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sweet! Hopefully this works good for you. Im glad you took lwarriors suggestion. lwarrior1016 is a sharp guy and knows what to do in just about any situation. If he makes a suggestion about anything....car repairs, modifications, or home recipes.....you can take his info to the bank!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online