Engine quits after cranked up!!

caseypayne69

Reaction score
:help2:

Yesterday, my car started. Then it died right after. It cranks right up, then exhaust notes, then dies with in seconds. If I give it gas it tries to stay alive but still dies. My brakes do need replacing, so I wondered if it was the brake booster. Friend said probably not. He mentioned, idle air control unit, or mass airflow sensor. I checked hoses like return lines on my K/N FIPK, all are intake. My exhaust is intake as well. Can anyone throw up some possible solutions?

Also when I apply my brakes my left drive said is making a scratchy metal sound. And my brakes only go so far forward. Yes, I know I need rotars, When I apply my brakes firmly it shakes my steering wheel.

Spyder

Reaction score
well as far as the brake problems, sounds like your pads are shot, rotors are probably groved if not warped too. they are gonna need replacing if they cant be turned.

with the engine dying, could be fuel, air, ignition, all sorts of things.
Have you done any recent mods to the car that may have affected how it runs?
Make sure all sensors are connected i.e. Maf, IAC, TPS
Also, if you have access to a pressure guage, check the fuel pressure, see if its dropping.
And, for shits and giggles, check your battery connections, you never know

Just some things i would try.

97WhitePony

Reaction score
Im not too sure of your year, but it might be your PATS system on the fritz. I had mine do it about a year ago. Check and see if your THEFT LIGHT is blinking when you start it. PATS cuts off the fuel pump if it doesnt recognize the key. THats why it will start but not stay running. There is a module that sits under the steering colum that connects to a ring that goes around the ignition. Youll have to replace that whole unit (you can get them and keys for like a dollar on ebay all day long, but youll have 2 sets of keys, like me LOL, one to open the car, and one to start it) i think the module is like 150 bucks from ford. Its no big deal to take out, it actually surprised me when i did it.

Just my .02 on the problem...

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I'm gonna change my fuel filter out right after church this morning. (had one laying around) I hope that solves it. If not i'll try all the other things you guys mentioned.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
alrighty, I took replaced my fuel filter and battery. When I took the old fuel filter off it had black fuel and goldish colored fuel in it. The batter as needed to be replaced for a while now. So I got a 620 cold cranking normal 720 cranking battery. Problem not fixed. I took the Idle air control unit off and cleaned it. Now the car will hold at idle, but during battery install I sparked like crazy on accident. Now my keyless door locks dont work, nor my cd player. (after market dvd cd player) And when I hit the door lock inside the door it makes my turn signal go off. But now I have a security system issue. Granted I have an after market pos one over the factory one. I'm thinking of just bringing it to Ford dealer and having them remove after market crap and see where that goes.

Spyder

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like an wiring nightmare. Did you get the car with that alarm on there, or did you have it installed by someone? If you had it installed i would take it back to the place that did it. Good luck with it

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Was installed by previous owner :nonono: who worked at bestbuy and it was his first car to do it on. I just want it taken out. So I have an appointment Wednesday to at Hudson Ford in Madisonville, KY.

Spyder

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like thats sounds like the culprit. Stupid bestbuy emploees :hammer: Anyways good luck man

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I also kind of ark'd the battery. Making pos and neg touch opposite ends. I hope my computer isnt shot. It runs, and drives normal but my lock switches dont work, truck switch dont work, consol lights dont (ceiling), speedo gauge dont, radio, or upper center clock.

Spyder

Reaction score
:hammer:

Sounds like you may have popped some fuses
Check the power distribution box, its right next to the battery. Also check the fuse box under the dash, might be something there.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
i took it to Ford, they removed after market alarm. The problem was one fuse blown (i didnt find). No wire issues, just one fuse stopped all that from working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online