Engine rebuild....

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Hey every one.. Im going to rebuild my engine now because of either having bad
valve seal or bad rings.. So anyways, does any body know a good kit to buy? The only one i'm finding is on summit and it Congress with new pistons.. Do I need new ones? And also could someone list a partist that ill need for the tools and anything that wouldnt come in a kit?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Okay well maybe ill get a reply this time... Im planning on getting the summit kit because I really don't know what's good out there and summit is a known place.. Anyways, id rather get the kit that comes with the hyper pistons but id only get this one if I can reuse my stock pistons. Does anyone know if the rods and rings that come with the kit be interchangeable with the stock and hypo pistons? This is kit its by federal mogul by the way

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Thanks man, I found the kit I want without the pistons. Its from jegs. The part number is 397-M-6003-A50
Its from ford racing, can someone look at this and tell me what else I may/should need?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why do you think you need a rebuild?
A leak down test can tell you whether you need rings, or vlv seals.
Maybe all you need is vlv seals which would be less than $50. And can be done with the heads still on the motor.
A whole rebuild is a lot more than that.

RichV

Reaction score
I would just buy a crate long block and be done.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
I have bad rings, im getting bad blow by. I plan on rebuilding it using stock internals because I recently found out how cheap a 351 swap is. So I just want my motor to be strong enough to get on it but im not going to upgrade it anymore until I can just afford the 351. With that being said, what bearings and sorts should I buy? The kit im looking at only comes with gaskets. btw the motor is good now besides the blow by which is causing a miss fire im pretty sure...

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Thanks for that site. But the kit im looking at already is on jegs and is a little cheaper. What are other things that are must replace things when rebuilding the engine? Are rear main seals required? And what about rod bearings and cam bearings? Like I said.. Im not looking for performance right now I just want a clean running motor while I build up the driveline for a 351

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
actually I knew I was going to get new rod bearings anyways... So I dont care about those but what about the cam bearings?

Magic

Reaction score
Thanks man, I found the kit I want without the pistons. Its from jegs. The part number is 397-M-6003-A50
Its from ford racing, can someone look at this and tell me what else I may/should need?

That kit only contains gaskets for the engine. Does not include any bearings or pistons rings.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can hold off on buying bearings until you get everything apart and ck the tolerances.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
E251x this part number is the piston rings I want from federal mogul. Does it come with a full set for all 8 or just one piston? From what I understand by the part number it comes with all 8 but these are significantly cheaper then the others.. Does any one know?

95opal

Reaction score
Why do you think you need a rebuild?
A leak down test can tell you whether you need rings, or vlv seals.
Maybe all you need is vlv seals which would be less than $50. And can be done with the heads still on the motor.
A whole rebuild is a lot more than that.

/\ This and the possibility of excess crankcase pressure. Id would do a leak down and also check the PVC system before opting for a rebuild.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
/\ This and the possibility of excess crankcase pressure. Id would do a leak down and also check the PVC system before opting for a rebuild.

Ive already checked the pcv and replaced it. I get alot of smoke coming out of my oil fill cap at idle. Im pretty sure I have bad rings. And besides, I kind of want to rebuild it. my auto tech teacher is going to help me out and I want to learn before I graduate so I can know how kn the future... Then I can builds my 351 on my own!

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
I am just on the same path like you, bought an used motor and took it apart, sent it to a machine shop to inspected and ended up boring it .30 then I ordered flat piston from summit with nee rings, reused the same rods and bought new main bearings and new main crankshaft bearing, also got a new oil pump, new timing chain and new water pump; now I have to buy new aluminum heads TF since I have already a B cam with the cobra upper and lower intake and nee valve covers. I still need my new Al rockers, TB may be 76 mm.
Will start posting some pictures soon about my build, I am not mechanic and never done a full rebuilt from scratch so will be asking a lot pf question to the pros here!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I suggest contacting Tousley Ford in Minnesota for any factory Ford parts that you want. They will likely beat any other price, have the exact parts because OEM and you dont pay for shipping which is expedited... I did this for my rebuild which will be posted here once I hit 100 posts and you can see what the costs were for my 4v.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
ok call me lazy i didnt read all the posts but i recommend a company in texas they have great product and can custom grind cams etc and actually know how to take care of a customer . Called mabbco motors great prices as well and name brand products . just my .02 for whats its worth .good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell