Engine Swap

Night_Train01

Reaction score
I am going to replace the tired 5.0 in my 95 GT, I have access to a couple motors, one is from an 81 and the other is from a 1990. Will any year 5.0 fit into the 95 body?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. You just have to use the timing cover and accessory brackets from you original 95 motor

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I am going to replace the tired 5.0 in my 95 GT, I have access to a couple motors, one is from an 81 and the other is from a 1990. Will any year 5.0 fit into the 95 body?

They'll both physically fit. The 81 is carbureted and the 90 is efi. If you're looking for something to "drop in and go" the '90 will be the best bet. I'm not 100% but you might need a new wiring harness.
Good link on the specs by year.
http://www.fiveohinfo.com/fox/engine.html
Don't Sext and Drive.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Quick question. How many miles are on the engines being sold and how much are they asking for them? For around $2k you could have your old tired one rebuilt. It'd run like new or better and it'd last you another 300k mi.
*Edit* If having yours rebuilt is a no go, I'd still pass on both of those motors. Search for a 5.0 Ford Explorer motor. More bang for the buck.
Take a pass on the 81

Don't Sext and Drive.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Again with incorrect information.

The "302" block has never really changed. It's 100% interchangeable thru all years. The short blocks are no different other then the strength of the block. Boss, Mexican, and frpp blocks are stronger.

No harness change, no nothing. The only downfall to the older blocks is no forged crank but since he didn't mention plans on boosting right now it doesn't matter.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question related to this though. Since he mentioned getting the exploder 5.0, were they OBDII, so you could in theory switch to that computer with more up-to-date tuning software?

I think I remember someone on here running the explorer 5.0 with a really nice build. Mika I believe?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Explorer 5.0 was obd2 in the explorer only cause it has a timing sensor in place of the distributor. To do the same in the mustang you have to go standalone with individual coils.

You can use the exploder motor with your distributor tho and it's fine.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Again with incorrect information.

The "302" block has never really changed. It's 100% interchangeable thru all years. The short blocks are no different other then the strength of the block. Boss, Mexican, and frpp blocks are stronger.

No harness change, no nothing. The only downfall to the older blocks is no forged crank but since he didn't mention plans on boosting right now it doesn't matter.

The way he worded it made me believe that he was looking for an engine to drop in and run. He didn't say he was looking for a shortblock to rebuild. He said, "I'm looking for an engine to replace the tired one in my 95." So I assumed he was looking for a running engine. Which if is the case how much "less tired" could an '81 be anyway? So I'm wrong about the '81 being carbureted? Yes he could swap over the efi stuff from his I guess.
If he's looking for a motor to drop in and or rebuild wouldn't you start with one that has the better set of heads and intake? Out of the box the '81 is slow as dogsht
OP: if you're looking for a motor to rebuild then why not rebuild yours?

Don't Sext and Drive.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Quick question related to this though. Since he mentioned getting the exploder 5.0, were they OBDII, so you could in theory switch to that computer with more up-to-date tuning software?

I think I remember someone on here running the explorer 5.0 with a really nice build. Mika I believe?

You'd also the engine wiring harness from the exploder too. Then convert the guage cluster to the OBD2 computer.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yep, ol'boy is gonna need a mustang 5.0l or a 302 with the "HO"(high output) camshaft, better known as a 351camshaft

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Explorer 5.0 was obd2 in the explorer only cause it has a timing sensor in place of the distributor. To do the same in the mustang you have to go standalone with individual coils.

You can use the exploder motor with your distributor tho and it's fine.

You'd also the engine wiring harness from the exploder too. Then convert the guage cluster to the OBD2 computer.

So you get coils, wiring harness, and a computer and you could have an OBDII 5.0? Neat, thanks for that guys!

OP
OP
N

Night_Train01

Reaction score
I have not decided exactly what my plans are for the 95 GT I just bought, it would make a good drag car or a really nice driver. I have driven it once and it really needs some help, under the hood looks to be completely stock. Winter is almost here so I may just add a few goodies and see if that helps the performance of this car. I have a new set of 3:73 gears ready to go, most likely start with a 70mm throttle body, cold air intake and some headers and see if that helps.

ranger56528

Reaction score
That would be a good start and then think it thru on what you really want to do so you don't end up like me with my 1st time doing it and trust me I've gotten enough to fill a pool hahaha,deffenitly a learning experience.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not decided exactly what my plans are for the 95 GT I just bought, it would make a good drag car or a really nice driver. I have driven it once and it really needs some help, under the hood looks to be completely stock. Winter is almost here so I may just add a few goodies and see if that helps the performance of this car. I have a new set of 3:73 gears ready to go, most likely start with a 70mm throttle body, cold air intake and some headers and see if that helps.

Gears are the best bang for the buck.
Headers and full exhaust, CAI, and bigger TB will only provide minimal HP gains.
Another popular budget upgrade is explorer heads and intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online