EPA continues to screw over the performance industry...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just another reason im soooo glad I went legal on my exhaust. Even though it cost me about 3 hundred bucks more I dont have to worry about the government and its regulations on the OBDII crap to have any impact on me. :)

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
I live in Alabama so it will be a LOOOOOOONG time before I have to worry about any emissions crap. I am just doing my part to keep the Earth from going into another ice age!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jfor441 said:
I live in Alabama so it will be a LOOOOOOONG time before I have to worry about any emissions crap. I am just doing my part to keep the Earth from going into another ice age!

they sprung this crap on us almost 2 years ago now, I knew then that the days of off road mid pipes and such was over :( but hey its no big deal, go legal on your exhaust and your fine. Unless your in a pre 96 car,..........all those guys still have thier OR H pipes on and the X's with no cats :D

oh and huge cams that are not emiss legal either

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
jfor441 said:

they sprung this crap on us almost 2 years ago now, I knew then that the days of off road mid pipes and such was over :( but hey its no big deal, go legal on your exhaust and your fine. Unless your in a pre 96 car,..........all those guys still have thier OR H pipes on and the X's with no cats :D

oh and huge cams that are not emiss legal either

Thats how my car is gonna be in another month LOL

S

scarface

Cats are the way to go, I dont like "the man" coming after me.... If O/R exhaust bothers me too bad, I will go buy an antique :)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
All my cars have cats (even the nasty ones) but I think that it is ridiculous that the EPA spends so much time and energy going after a VERY SMALL niche market whose impact on the overall environmental quality is nominal.

Furthermore, how can a manufacturer be held responsible for the use of the product once it has been sold to a consumer? That's almost like validating that Phillip Morris is responsible for some smoker who got cancer after smoking cigarettes for 30 years. Retarded.

Paul.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Paul said:
All my cars have cats (even the nasty ones) but I think that it is ridiculous that the EPA spends so much time and energy going after a VERY SMALL niche market whose impact on the overall environmental quality is nominal.

Furthermore, how can a manufacturer be held responsible for the use of the product once it has been sold to a consumer? That's almost like validating that Phillip Morris is responsible for some smoker who got cancer after smoking cigarettes for 30 years. Retarded.

Paul.

Thats what I was thinking. When I got my MIL's it specifically said on there for offroad use only. Same as with my offroad X.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
In the article it states that the EPA is basically saying that that specific language is not acceptable anymore.

Small manufacturers do not have money or firepower to do battle with government lawyers with unlimited time and resources.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with the EPA is that they basically have zero oversight. They can do just about anything they want.

ripper

Reaction score
Ive got o/r exhaust and just passed inspec. here in jersey?????? I dont need mil illiminators I turned em off with the tune ;) Ill worry about it when i see some Freightliners runnin cats. Until then :ass3:

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Maybe if the NHTSA wasn't putting so much emphasis on turning a midsize sedan into a boat anchor, then we could make some realistic progress instead of cracking down on, as said above, a small niche market. The highways nowadays are turning into one giant demolition derby. There's no telling how much better fuel economy (thus emissions) would be on an average if we shaved just 500 lbs or so off of each vehicle model, especially with the efficiency of today's engines. This is especially feasible with the behemoth trucks and SUVs on the market.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
another case of our government choosing to fry ten thousand small fish. I'm the biggest patriot in this room, but we have some serious issues (national security, illegal immigration, social security, etc.) to address before we start worrying about the **maybe** ten thousand cars running around with o/r x pipes.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
another case of our government choosing to fry ten thousand small fish. I'm the biggest patriot in this room, but we have some serious issues (national security, illegal immigration, social security, etc.) to address before we start worrying about the **maybe** ten thousand cars running around with o/r x pipes.

But but but... The .gov knows whats best for you and me. We are not smart enough and educated enough to make our own decisions LMAO

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
My exhaust is legal and my CEL just came on after 600 miles or so after a CATTED midpipe. At least making MIL eliminators is pretty simple yourself.

Danimal

Reaction score
Internet scares of the EPA coming after us all have been going around since I got into car forums 10 years ago. I, personally, don't believe that its anything to worry about in the near future. This article does, however, show that aftermarket manufacturers will be subject to stricter enforcement of laws. The fact is, this company made a product that was not for true off-road enthusiasts. This product was for your average Joe, looking to add illegal equipment to his daily driver. Don't get me wrong, my Cobra has a wild set of cams and no emissions equipment what-so-ever. The fact is, modifying your street car in any real way has been illegal for 30 years and some day the laws are going to be enforced.

-Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.