Evilgt's road racer build thread. aka the tractor

Evilgt

Reaction score
Time to start a build thread. Its been four years since I have had a build thread pretty darn excited.

The car. 2000 GT

The goal. Go as fast as possible in a over weight, under powered 78 fairmont disguised as a mustang in NASA's Time trial division.

Current mods are pretty slim.

Cheap lowering springs rates are 650F 250R.

Koni STRs in the rear.

2003 Cobra wheels.

275 nitto NT01s in the front and 315s in the back.

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
I have to throw in a pic of RichV's S197 as we have been racing together for years and it's the other half of team silver bullet.

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
So as the car sits I am roughly 3-4 seconds a lap behind the leaders. My main competition are a bunch of E36 BMW M3's and a certain silver S197.

The car is still pretty much stock and the allowed mods are few.

Quick link to the TT rules for those that are interested.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/time_trial_rules.pdf

Plans are.

Sway bars.

Front struts.

CC plates

Off road H or X pipe

Cat back

CAI

Hand held tunes.

Seats

And lose as close to 200lbs as possible.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
niiiice!

i'd suggest some lower control arms out back and a set of sub frame connectors. :)

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
I would agree however you must take points for each modification and those would push me up a class where I think the car would get crushed.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, I'd box them and put in some poly bushings. Shouldn't have to take points. Or at lest I won't tell the cake eaters (BMW guys).

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
As the car sits. Time Trial "D"

The car's base class in "E" and just the shocks/struts/tires bumped me to "D" with 7 points left to spend.

It brakes down like this.

Base class E plus 14 points to start. Not sure why it takes 14 points.

Points taken for current mods and the 14 already given to the car gives me a total of 32 points.

20-39 points moves you up one class and thats how I ended up in D

kyle

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
Yea, I'd box them and put in some poly bushings. Shouldn't have to take points. Or at lest I won't tell the cake eaters (BMW guys).

Yeah I think thats the plan. That and all of the free mods like bushings for the FCAs and steering rack etc etc.

As I read the rules you only take points for replacing the RLCAs or relocating the mounting points. We should be able to box the stickers and replace the bushings. Not sure if poly is gonna work. Was thinking that the three piece bushings like J@M use would work.

Or just replace them and not tell anyone. lmao

Hey some of the other guys may not be disclosing every mod.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I run nasa as well, I am playing the point system as well. Sounds like you are taking too many points for those 315's.

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
The 315s are coming off ad getting replaced with 275s. I got the NT01s on the car for free and decided to give them a try. I had previously only used the RA1.

My points tally is with the 275.

Could back pedal to 245s and get a few points back but man I just feel that the big heavy mustang needs as much tire as possible/

kyle

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great to see more racers. Keep us posted!
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] do you race your SN still, or have you been focusing your attention to the s197?

RichV

Reaction score
Great to see more racers. Keep us posted!
RichV do you race your SN still, or have you been focusing your attention to the s197?

Ive been running TTD with the 197 and instructing new HPDE drivers with NASA. Just taking a year off competition.

<Terminator voice> I'll be baack!

punched281

Reaction score
Clean car!! If we all make it to the car show I'm trying to plan, we need to park our silver bullets together!

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Without changing anything to get more points, I would really focus on shaving as much weight as possible. You have a daily driver, so remove as much from the time trial car as you can.

I like the idea of boxing in the lower control arms. I would also add a rod end to the frame connection side of the control arm, and a poly bushing to the axle side.

Do you get points for the exhaust modifications? If so, I wouldn't even bother. Those points could be better spent on chassis braces or other suspension goodies.

Can you delete the a/c without adding points? Rear seat delete, get rid of the sound dampening material, gut the interior completely. Remove the trunk, or at least cut out the support braces on the underside of the trunk and hood. How much weight are you allowed before they start adding points?

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
Without changing anything to get more points, I would really focus on shaving as much weight as possible. You have a daily driver, so remove as much from the time trial car as you can.

I like the idea of boxing in the lower control arms. I would also add a rod end to the frame connection side of the control arm, and a poly bushing to the axle side.

Do you get points for the exhaust modifications? If so, I wouldn't even bother. Those points could be better spent on chassis braces or other suspension goodies.

Can you delete the a/c without adding points? Rear seat delete, get rid of the sound dampening material, gut the interior completely. Remove the trunk, or at least cut out the support braces on the underside of the trunk and hood. How much weight are you allowed before they start adding points?

I can be 3240 or so before taking points for weight reduction and 260hp to the wheels. 3240 is the min weight for my chassis. I am 220ish and the car weighed 3470 with me in it. I plan on removing weight and and the other free mods like bushings before spending any more money on mods. going to see where that gets me as far as times go before changing the exhaust etc.

I can chase down a lot of the cars in my class as they are also running low 1.54s. Hoping that the weight reduction and improved driving skills can me into the low 1.53s or 1.52s. Really need to concentrate on the driving aspect as I know that I am leaving time on the table through at least 4 corners.

kyle

OP
OP
E

Evilgt

Reaction score
Removing the cats can also bring the weight down some. I wonder what a non catted "H" weighs compared to the stocker. Maybe a bonus of a little extra power and less weight.

Anyone ever weigh the different cat backs compared to the stock cat back. Some look like the may be lighter than others.

kyle

wmfateam

Reaction score
I didn't weigh mine, but using the carrying overt my head scale, I'd say my upr off road X is in the 15/20 lbs range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online