Exhaust and Muffler tip?

GhostCat

Reaction score
Obviously they wont affect performance... I just cant seem to figure out which ones will fit on my '95 mustang. American Muscle has one for my mustang but its pretty expensive. There's some for less then half the price on amazon. Since its purely for cosmetics and not for performance gain(I did notice some that affects the sound) I don't mind buying from amazon. Which ones fit on my mustang? Also what is the difference between an exhaust and Muffler tip?

heres the links
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-4-exhaust-tip-carbon-fiber-25-connection-87117.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHDFFR...olid=2ILHQQ1WXCOK6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMNL36...olid=2ILHQQ1WXCOK6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
Darn no suggestions?? I think only ask because the person that owned it before decided to paint the exhaust tip blue.... Doesn't look really pleasing

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no reason to buy new tips because of paint on it. Its not hard to strip it an then polish it if you want. I don't think many of us care about our tips unless we have side exhaust.

trebor3170

Reaction score
cut the tail pipes off, and run dumps, problem solved. Seriously, do whatever you think looks good, ask 100 people, get 100 opinions, and you know what opinions are worth:rolleyes:

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Which ones fit on my mustang? Also what is the difference between an exhaust and muffler tip?
To answer your questions
As long as the ID (inside diameter) of the tailpipe is the same as or a touch larger than the OD(outside diameter) of your exhaust it would fit. Assuming you want a bolt on and not a weld on. If you want it welded you can either get one to slip over your exhaust pipe and be larger, or get the same size and butt it up to weld. Either way.
That being said typically exhaust tips on our cars are around 18" long. Our SN95 bumpers dont have cut outs for the exhaust because they dont reach low enough, thus leaving all of the exhaust from the tire back visible. So the longer exhaust tips are visible and look at home on our cars, vs a stubby, short exhaust tip you may find on a s197 or new mustang, as the only thing visible on those cars is the last inch of the exhaust tip so length doesnt matter.

To accurately tell you what exhaust tip would work we would need to know if you have a stock cat back or aftermarket. And how long your current exhaust tips are.. if they're already the stubby short style, you can replace them with the same or cut more of your catback out and install a longer one. If they're currently long, youd need to replace them with a new equally as long one.

To answer your question exhaust vs muffler tip-
A muffler tip is an exhaust tip that generally mounts right to the muffler. These are found in, for example, a s197 where the muffler is right behind the rear bumper, and then a short tip is attached to that to exit the bumper, which is why muffler tips are pretty much universally short. Our cars have mufflers before the axles, so if you put a tip on your muffler it would not be visable... however theres nothing stopping you from installing a "muffler tip" to any part of your exhaust, it does not HAVE to be attached to the muffler directly.

When you say "exhaust" in exhaust vs muffler tip, if you meant just exhaust, exhaust is a broad term, but broken down basically you have exhaust headers/manifolds, exhaust mid pipe (H or X), exhaust axle back(contains the mufflers and over axle piping and sometimes the exhaust tips too) and then exhaust tips, so exhaust isnt the same as muffler tip, but if you meant exhaust tip, it's basically the same as muffler tip, but things advertised as exhaust tips are probably going to be longer than a muffler tip, and would be more of what you probably need.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Based off your links and common exhausts, this may work for you. $50 for a set of 2 tips
ECCPP Diesel Exhaust Tip 2.5" Inlet 4" Outlet Exhaust Tips 18" Long Powder Coated Black Stainless Steel Exhaust Tailpipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMM7DMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AYxSCbG4Q7XQD
Powder coated black, has an inlet ID of 2.5 and the outlet is 4". And they're 18" in length

BigBore96

Reaction score
Catless no muffler all the way back sounds the best!....in my opinion
o_O

Upload a picture of you exhaust now. Sounds to me your best bet currently is to remove and polish the tips that are on it.

Do you have a catback? If not I would just save up a bit more and get one. You can find a used cheap. You can run damn near any catback from 79 to 04. Irs included if you're lowered.

If you dont have a catback you're looking for 2.25in tips.

driftin

Reaction score
Catless no muffler all the way back sounds the best!....in my opinion
My buddy is thinking the same set up for better sound for his mustang. We're finishing the installation of jeep parts on his new Wrangler project when he mentioned the idea about going catless. We might proceed with the idea.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
see now I like the sound of mine after the cats with the cut outs open. Its not stupid loud but it gets attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online