Exhaust drone: is it possible to get rid of it all?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
How do you deal with exhaust droning in the car? My car has a built 331, and it used to drone pretty loud back when I had BBK short tube headers, combined with Bassani catless x-pipe and Bassani catback. Since then I have added 18 inch resonators in the downpipes, 200 cell Magnaflow cats, and Spintech 3000 mufflers, which is the quietest performance muffler they have. It helped somewhat, but the 2000 rpm drone is still an issue to the point where I get headaches at times on a long drive. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I've spoken to a tech at Borla who said that Windsor motors are just drone monsters and there is nothing you can do to get rid of it, starting to believe that myself.

Werecow

Reaction score
Interesting read for sure!! Have you considered something like Boom Mat or any other sound deadening material to put down to help with it? I know we've got a few ppl here that have experience in this area that might chime in on it. Course this solution would require pulling your interior down to the floorpan to install it and possibly on the door panels as well, anything that would resonate, or add to the "drone" your experiencing.. Good luck and hope you find a cure! Cheers!!

joe65

Reaction score
interesting. I used magnaflows on one of my foxes and they seemed to be a lot less drony. i know this is a much more expensive idea, but changing gears will shift the cruising rpms either higher or lower depending on what you go with.

Werecow

Reaction score
Ooh there's another thought, could try a pair of the old style "turbo" mufflers.. those do quieten things down a lot, but you do take a hit on power.. You're not gnna have a Lincoln quite ride in a Mustang with a built 331...

Chip66

Reaction score
Interesting read for sure!! Have you considered something like Boom Mat or any other sound deadening material to put down to help with it? I know we've got a few ppl here that have experience in this area that might chime in on it. Course this solution would require pulling your interior down to the floorpan to install it and possibly on the door panels as well, anything that would resonate, or add to the "drone" your experiencing.. Good luck and hope you find a cure! Cheers!!

I have already installed about 50 lbs of sound deadener on the floor and trunk pans. It didn't seem to help with the drone.

My Cobra convertible is mostly stock, with no cats and Super 44 mufflers. The drone is really bad around 2k to 2.2k RPMs.

Werecow

Reaction score
Ooh good to know.... I'm planning on 3in 40's or 44'when I get my big block put in my foxbody.. but then again it's not gnna be driven on many long trips.. well not a lot of em more than 1/8 or 1/4 mile at a time... ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Like the title says I met a guy through a friend with a salvage title 2003 Mach, 94k original miles. Airbags are good, damage was cosmetic and has been mostly repaired. He offered it to me for 2600. Its a five speed. He planned on fixing it up but life happens and he never got it going. It runs and drives but has ben sitting.

I've never bought a salvage title and am apprehensive about it. What does the community of SN's think about this car? I don't have any pics, but it has drivable damage to front end and the passengers side fender. It has a half-assed repair on the front, using zip ties, so it would need a header panel.

I just don't know if the Mach's have enough value to put a lot of work into and still be a salvage title.

It should be possible.

I've been wanting to try what this guy has done:

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone

I saw something similar to this a few years back on a mustang but I didn't have a link and wasn't going to be able to describe it. Do you have cats? I didn't notice drone being a problem before I removed my cats but I also added the supercharger which increased the volume a bit. I want to put the cats back on, I still have my loud button.

Chip66

Reaction score
I saw something similar to this a few years back on a mustang but I didn't have a link and wasn't going to be able to describe it. Do you have cats? I didn't notice drone being a problem before I removed my cats but I also added the supercharger which increased the volume a bit. I want to put the cats back on, I still have my loud button.

I suspect cats affect the drone problem. I previously had a bone stock '89 GT with cats and Super 44s also. I never noticed a drone, however, it was a hatch verse my current convertible. Convertibles definitely allow more noise in.

Has anyone tried some resonators in the H/X pipe in place of cats? I'm curious what effect that would have.

TrickVert

Reaction score
There is a HUGE thread on the Corral about this. Long story short, the solution is to add Heimholz resonators to the system. I installed a set on my car years ago and the drone is *greatly* reduced.

Sbroady

Reaction score
I am running Bassani catted x pipe and steeda/borla back (I am assuming borla touring since it comes in a box that says borla). I wore was plugs the drone was so bad for about 2000 miles. When all burned in (about 2000 miles later) I experience zero drone inside the car and can hold 80 on the interstate all day.

NEURON

Reaction score
Who drives at 2K? I pass through the drone and rarely drive at 2K for any length of time. Maybe change your gearing.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ReplicaR,
Did you ever remedy your droning issue? I just came across this thread and it relates to one I started recently, so thought I’d chime in and see what I can learn!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Changing the diameter of the piping (size and shape) will be the most drastic change possible. Material will also change the resonance iirc, I only vaguely know the science.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online