Exhaust dumps

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How awful are dumps? I’m tired of hearing my exhaust tap at the high point of the hump over the axle! Is the difference THAT significant vs full length? I understand “the drone” sound, but is there a best case scenario?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did a little research and some of the prefabs (FlowMaster,etc) are like $500 for a 2’ piece of pipe and muff.
Can’t I just have the muffler shop hack the exhaust off about 2”-3” back of the existing mufflers and weld on some down tube dumps??

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What do they look like?

Wmac

Reaction score
Daryl: U have a stock catback or aftermarket on there now?

I ran ultraflows dumped last year. Deep and mellow @ idle, very loud at hiway speeds, but no noticeable drone.

If you ride with the misses much, run tailpipes.

Pic of an oem muffler peeled back.

20210521_085011.jpgIMG_20210517_150753.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daryl: U have a stock catback or aftermarket on there now?

I ran ultraflows dumped last year. Deep and mellow @ idle, very loud at hiway speeds, but no noticeable drone.

If you ride with the misses much, run tailpipes.

Pic of an oem muffler peeled back.

View attachment 14378View attachment 14379
Aftermarket cat-back but running all 4 cats to pass CA smog (or DOT for those across the pond!).
Fortunately, the Mrs. doesn’t ride in the car, so no issue there.
How’d you pass decibels @
your DOT with the loud highway sound at speed?

Wmac

Reaction score
Then pull the tailpipes, measure outlet of muffler, see your friend at napa for 2 turndowns. Cost 25/30 bucks.
If you want to try different mufflers, reuse your flowtubes. (maybe some borla)

Only short & spirited drives at times. Other than a 1/2 hr or so trip to the track. Take mostly backroads, no issues with cops or moe. (yet)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Shorty headers, no cats, aftermarket h pipe, crossed over to X pipe with short extensions pointed toward the driver side door......

It was loud and wide open! Sounded great!

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had an off-road x pipe and flowmaster super 44s dumped on my old 00 gt. It was loud and mean. I loved it but damn the drone! And at idle you could feel it in your chest lol.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm… if I do decide to do this, I’m looking for the quietest of all options. Least amount of drone. And is it just me getting this knock/banging? Does everyone else with lowered suspensions suffer the same? Or are there aftermarket cat-backs that actually fit , without hitting, rattling or tapping against the underside of the floor pan or the axle housing?

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
What is hitting on your current system? Mufflers should not as they are hung from the hangars, so that would leave the tail pipes probably hitting the subframe or gas tank flange?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What is hitting on your current system? Mufflers should not as they are hung from the hangars, so that would leave the tail pipes probably hitting the subframe or gas tank flange?
When I took it to the muffler shop and he put it up on the rack, he showed me where there’s been contact on the underside of the floor pan and also on top of the axle housing. So, he took 1”-1.5” off the exh pipe just behind the muffler and rebelled it, thereby shortening it so the highest point in the arc that goes over the axle IS actually directly over the axle and less chance it’ll hit. Iran improvement, but there’s still some hitting.

I thought about a replacement cat-back but I suspect they’d all follow the same path and be pretty much the same as the next. Then I thought, “what if I just avoid the axle and that “hump” in the cat-back design altogether and just run dumps?”

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never had an exhaust rattle on mine since the day it was new till now. It might take some hammering/bending but there isn't any reason it should do this.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The only other culprits, as far as I can tell, would be the spare tire (I’ll remove to see if it’s it) or the RSD, which I intend to baton-down with self-tapping screws today. Hopefully eliminate one or both as suspects!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online