Exhaust info and Sound clip Thread!

EF5.0

Reaction score
My idea behind this is to give some basic info to people who do not know, or are unsure of what is available for the mustang exhaust market.

Disclaimer: Exhaust is a very opinion oriented modification. I intend to be as unbiased as possible.

Cams:

"The bigger the cam, the more aggressive the idle will be." - belber095

This more aggressive sound happens because an aftermarket cam will increase the amount of time the valves are open. Making it sound different at idle.

An extreme example of this is most true drag cars. They always sound rough when Idling. That sound is way more exaggerated than any street use cams will be, it is just the best example I could think of.

Headers:

Choices include:
  • Unequal length shorties
  • Equal length Shorties
  • Longtube
Headers take the exhaust gases directly from cylinders and "collect" them into the exhaust pipes. The stock headers are restricting, which slows exhaust flow from the engine. Aftermarket headers help to open up the exhaust flow.

*Any more input from others would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to be giving false info"

Mid Pipes

On-Road Midpipes - These have catalytic converters, often required in states with emissions laws and checks.

• H-pipe
  • X-pipe
Off Road Midpipes - No catalytic converters. These are technically for use "on track only" use.

• H-Pipe
  • X-pipe
H-pipes and X-pipes are both used to equalize the exhaust flow through the pipes. Both will give you about the same horsepower gains. Generally speaking H-pipes are said to give you more low-end power, while X-pipes help more at higher RPM's.

Sound wise an H-pipe will usually give a deeper, sound more of a rumble. The X-pipe is slightly higher pitched: more of a "exotic" sound. It is often described as more "raspy". But as I said the sound is all on basis of opinion.

Also there is the option of Mac Prochamber Midpipe. It is a loose style of H-pipe. Instead of having just a pipe welded between the two sides it uses a box to achieve both good flow and good sound, while being less restricting. (Thank you white95)

There is also the option of going true-duals Or not having a midpipe. This just means that the pipes are run straight from the headers back to the muffler without a crossover in between.

Catback:

Anything behind the Midpipe is often called the Catback.

There are many different systems to choose from. The thing that changes in most all of them is the Muffler.

The common types of mufflers are:
  • Chambered (Flowmaster, Thrush, etc...)
  • Straight Flow (Magnaflow, SLP, etc...)
  • Glasspacks (Cherrybomb)
  • "Turbo" (Most brands offer these, usually seen on cars with fewer than 8 cylinders)
These are once again a preference of sound. Here are a couple of pictures to show the sound difference and power difference behind some of the more popular mufflers.

mufflerdata1.gif

mufflerdata2.jpg

Manufacturers like Cherry Bomb and others also have information on their websites that show the flow rates of their mufflers in cfm (cubic feet per minute). Such as this:

flowrates.jpg

After those components the muffler tips are also personal preference. You can dump your mufflers (has the pipes end right after the mufflers usually pointed down or out). You can also have your pipes run from the muffler out the back, or custom run out the sides (or however you can convince your muffler shop to run them really).

From this point, I would like to invite everyone to submit video or sound clips of their exhaust set ups.

Please include this info:

Model: Such as Mustang (GT or v6), Thunderbird, etc...
Engine: (4.6; 5.0; 3.8; etc...)
Stock or aftermarket Cam:
Your set up: Please include everything from headers back. If you still have stock headers please include that in your description.

Thank you :) If you have anything you would like to be added, PM me and I will add it! I'm always open to more information.

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
nice write up dude. might wanna include something about the cam in there though. that can really alter the exhaust note, especially at idle.

OP
OP
EF5.0

EF5.0

Reaction score
^Thank you. I don't know an awful lot about cam myself... but If someone wants to pm me or add it here I will edit it into the first post with credits to you. :)

95 Drop top snake

Reaction score
Guess ill start of with my set up i don't know how to post a sound clip so y'all will have to walk me through that but anyway my set up consist of 1995 5.0 mustang with 1 5/8 Mac long tubs with 3in collectors 2 1/2 in dr gas o/r true x pipe into magna flow 5x11 ovals dumped sounds like a big block at idle no hwy drone and very unique wot sound love this setup hope to post a video soon

OP
OP
EF5.0

EF5.0

Reaction score
If you have a photobucket, or a youtube account just upload the video of your setup there, and link to it. :)

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my car.....bbk shorty equals..custom X without cats..flowmaster super 44s dumped

[video=youtube;21fG-8NVe_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fG-8NVe_M[/video]

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
the bigger the cam, the more aggressive the idle will be. that's about the extent of my knowledge on them though. lol.

i'm thinking about taking my mufflers off and seeing how that sounds until i get my new exhaust. i'll upload a clip of that if end up doing that this weekend.

OP
OP
EF5.0

EF5.0

Reaction score
Prochamber and Cam info added. Also added Cam to the video posting outline :)

Since I don't have a current video of my Mustang's exhaust I will post one of my explorer (since it has a mustang engine :p)

2003 Ford Explorer NBX (NoBoundariesExperience)
4.6L
Stock engine
Set Up:
Stock exhaust piping (y pipe to single rear exit).
All stock cats in place
Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler welded into stock muffler location

Here's how it sounds

(It was cold the day I recorded this, hence the massive amounts of steam. Was only about 45* plus it had been/was raining)

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Model: 1996 Mustang Gt)
Engine: 4.6
Stock or aftermarket Cam: Stock
Your set up: UPR O/R X with dumped SLP LM1's

[video=youtube;2mD7c0JLMHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mD7c0JLMHA&feature=g-crec-u[/video]

jedpony

Reaction score
1995 mustang gt 5.0
Mac equal length headers
2.5 in stainless steel catless pypes x pipe
Flowtech Terminator mufflers
late model restoration 2.5 ss tailpipes
Stock cam

Combo is raspy, might be switching to borla xr1 in the near future.
poor quality video, I need to upload a drive by with better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5t9EQ47xLk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can hear mine in my air ride vid. Still planning on making an action vid with better sound but the car has been apart with the current project for a while now.
[video=youtube;-ZTMA_wxwAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZTMA_wxwAM[/video]

94 GT with stock 302 short block
trickflow twisted wedge 170 heads
trickflow stage 1 cam
BBK shorty unequal length headers.
Magnaflow high-flow catted X-pipe
Dynamax side exhaust mufflers.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Model: 1994 Mustang
Engine: 4.2 v6 m112 Supercharged
Cam: [FONT=&amp]Comp Cams 259HR115[/FONT]
Set up: Stock 3.8 v6 headers, [FONT=&amp]Mac Cat Back w/polished tips, Pacesetter H-pipe[/FONT]

[video=youtube;mBMgU0q68Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBMgU0q68Yw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

First video. Cold start inside garage because of snow outside (hence the exhaust smoke). Max RPM reached in video is around 3500. Sound, espcially idle, will likely change a bit when properly tuned in spring.

OP
OP
EF5.0

EF5.0

Reaction score
I'll try to get a video of my crappy rusted out (basically completely) exhaust.

I'll put it here >>>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell