Exhaust leak, shorties or hunt for some stockers?

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
The weather has been nice, so I've been driving my gt everywhere.
Well I started cleaning the engine and noticed something odd, so I jacked the car up and looked.
My DS manifold is actually a little cracked, which would explain the odd sounding exhaust and extra Off road smell.

So I am asking those who would be better in line to answer, for replacement, should I pony up some cash and save some weight with shorties, or look for some better conditioned stockers.

I know 99% of people say shorties don't do jack sh*t. But I did throw some on my v6 and noted sound, low-mid power and obviously they weigh less.
I can't speak for the 4.6, but I did notice a real gain in the street department on my six.

But enough of that.
I am just looking to replace the cracked manifold. I am keeping my system the same, as I already bought the O/R H, and have decided against long tubes for my current build.

So asking you guys' opinion.
And if shorties are a decent upgrade, what brand?
I've heard hit and miss about BBK and JBA, so looking for some firsthand info.

It's not a huge issue as I won't be doing that until I find some heads, and figure I'll do it all at once, but am now in the browsing stage.

As always appreciate any input.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Those 99% of the people that say shorties don't do jack shit are wrong.

I would watch the classifieds here and on corral. Things pop up sometimes also look on eBay.

Bub

Reaction score
I have a good set of stockers for a sn 5.0 if you decide that route. For $20 + shipping they are yours. Pm me if you want em

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Tapatalk worked for me. Til I accidentally backed too far out.
Now the only option for getting logged in here are facebook.
And apparently that is my old account I forgot I had lol

SO my current account can't be used on tapatalk..so I have to use my comp.

As for the shorty thing, I would have to agree about the 99%
I am not saying they are actually worth the cash and heartache.
But on my 4.0 I put shorties, it was easy, but the motor is smaller.
I did get gains in the daily driving range, low-mid.
For instance normal driving in 4th at 45 is 2100 RPMs.
After my shorties, in 4th at 45 is now 1850 verified by datalog. So that is a power increase yes? Less rpm(power) to do the same work.
But again they were only 99 shipped. I wasn't going to test shorties at 309 dollars.
But on my 4.0 I can say I felt it was a good buy, nice finish, perfect fit, and like I said the effects were real. I logged it twice, once before, and once after.
I don't expect I gained much if any for peak gains, but around town it was an improvement. And it deepened the tone, always a plus.

But I honestly think shorties are a motor variant, maybe they do better on different engines. Because I know 99% are ardent arguers for them on the 4.6 2v and 3v.

But I know they help on the old 5.0. But longtubes worked better.

But like I said, as long as I don't lose power honestly I don't really care. If anything at all, it's some minor weight off the front end.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you're taking one out might aswell upgrade. It'll definitely be a lot less restrictive than stock, probably pick up a few extra ponies and take a little weight off.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
If you're taking one out might aswell upgrade. It'll definitely be a lot less restrictive than stock, probably pick up a few extra ponies and take a little weight off.
You and Win are the only 2 people I've heard say there was any plus to shorties. haha

I've looked, plenty run BBK, and they just get flamed.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm running chrome BBK shorties. I think I feltan improvement in the butt dyno.
What I didn't like about them.
Apperance- Crap! the tubes were chromed as straight pipes then put in the fixture to be bent. That causes the chrome to crack at the bends, and you can also see tooling marks where the pipes were gripped to be bent.
Function- The tubes are welded on the inside of the flanges and it liiks like the machine made about 12 passes. there was a lot of extra weld on the inside of each tube.
I saw this before install and used my angle grinder to remove about 1/8" of the weld all the way around.

other things- the flexible tube for the EGR was too short and I extended it by cutting up the old one. The bolts wouldn't stay tight and I've replaced half of them with allen head cap screws w/lockwashers.

You can barely see the headers anyway so the apperance doesn't bother me too much, also both ends bolted right up with no problems.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, a common thing I've read is the welds.

I hear great things about JBA, then some say they crack.
I kind of wish the little place that made my 4.0s made them for the 2v. I'd buy those in a heartbeat if just weight alone.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Shorty headers actually don't do anything modular motors ... The factory exhaust manifolds aren't very restrictive .... By all means it will sound a lot nicer but the gains will be minimal if any .

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I figure the price on those FRRP aren't bad, I'll have the heads off anyway. And if they at least weigh less and smooth the tone or deepen it, it's whatever.
We spend money on wheels(and not all for better tires, just to have the wheels.) so meh.

I do appreciate the input and the plug for that link!

Depending on my next stage of the build I may go lontubes. But since I'm not gunning for MAX power, I think it's better than stockers.

Besides more than likely, when this motor begins to show it's age...a freshened 5.4 will most likely go in it's place, so I'd need shorties or stockers anyway.
But with the added weight of the 5.4, a few pounds off somewhere would be nice.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I figure the price on those FRRP aren't bad, I'll have the heads off anyway. And if they at least weigh less and smooth the tone or deepen it, it's whatever.
We spend money on wheels(and not all for better tires, just to have the wheels.) so meh.

I do appreciate the input and the plug for that link!

Depending on my next stage of the build I may go lontubes. But since I'm not gunning for MAX power, I think it's better than stockers.

Besides more than likely, when this motor begins to show it's age...a freshened 5.4 will most likely go in it's place, so I'd need shorties or stockers anyway.
But with the added weight of the 5.4, a few pounds off somewhere would be nice.

I would get get long tubes or don't bother . It's simply a giant waste of money with shortys on the mod motors ... The exhaust manifolds aren't a restricting factor like a push rod 5.0 ..... Seems like all these pushrod guys are telling you they are all that .... Quite frankly shorties are really never a performance upgrade in my eyes .... As for saving weight maybe a 1-2 lbs per side...

CWO

Reaction score
I have a set of stockers if you decide to go that way. $50+actual shipping charges. LMK

Win

Legend
Reaction score
They all say nothing on power gains but once everything is done in the full exhaust and you go forced induction I think you'll see a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online