Exhaust leak temp patch??

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
Just failed inspection in Jersey for exhaust leak. All original exhaust except for flowmaster mufflers (installed in '96), which I believe to be the problem due to small rotted holes. Is there some kind of wrap I could use to block the leak temporarily, or is replacement the only option?

OP
OP
D

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
That would be cool. Sounds sketchy. I was hoping for maybe a high temperature tape or wrap that would seal the holes...

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
That would be cool. Sounds sketchy. I was hoping for maybe a high temperature tape or wrap that would seal the holes...

it is. Right way would be to get it welded. But for a quick fix do that sealant crap, than have it welded or replace the stock exhaust

RichV

Reaction score
The can sounds sketchy but tape is good? lol

The part store chains do actually have a exhaust tape. I'm sure it lasts till you leave the inspection station, but would probably get you by.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
BTW Some mufflers have a drain hole to allow any condensation to drain out.

If you have a shop vac and jack stands you can leak ck the exhaust with having the engine running and risk burning your hands.
plugs made from 2" foam to fit in the 2 tail pipes and throttle body. You can use tape too.

Shop vac connected to tail pipe and on blow to pressurize the exhaust. A longer hose is more ideal to get the shop vac noise outside while your finding leaks.

Now just run your hand over the whole exhaust system till you feel air pissing out.

OP
OP
D

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas! Yeah Rich, the tape is sketchy too lol but I can see in my head sealant just poping out of the holes. Not sure how big the holes are, but I know that it is all in the muffler (or maybe in a cat or 2) because most of the exhaust system is stainelss. At least that is what I assume at this point. I'm gonna definitely do what CC recommends. This looks like a great idea. Although I think you meant withOUT having the engine running and burning my hands, right CC? Cause I can't see this working with the engine running.

I am definitely going to replace the hole-y mufflers, but can't do it in the next 20 days...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks, fellas! Yeah Rich, the tape is sketchy too lol but I can see in my head sealant just poping out of the holes. Not sure how big the holes are, but I know that it is all in the muffler (or maybe in a cat or 2) because most of the exhaust system is stainelss. At least that is what I assume at this point. I'm gonna definitely do what CC recommends. This looks like a great idea. Although I think you meant withOUT having the engine running and burning my hands, right CC? Cause I can't see this working with the engine running.

I am definitely going to replace the hole-y mufflers, but can't do it in the next 20 days...

lol yea definitely the engine is definitely not running.
You can use tape too is you don't have the foam.. Don't forget to plug the TB since there's a chance the intake and exhaust valve can both be open at the same time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online