Exhaust manifold leak

Ward438

Reaction score
So this is my introductory thread. I just traded a 93 Jeep Wrangler for a 98 GT. It has a swap from an 02. I ordered a driver's side exhaust manifold to replace the one that is currently cracked. I knew about the leak prior to the swap. I've tried to find all I can involved with doing this, but I can't find any conclusive answers over the replacement.

I'm not sure if I need to separate the transmission in order to jack up the motor or if I can leave it in place. I've read you have to remove the brace/frame underneath, disconnect the steering shaft. Is there anything else I am missing? I appreciate any help thrown my way. Thanks.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey man, first off, welcome to the forum. Next, I am not entirely sure when it comes to stock manifold replacement, but Im pretty sure you have to unbolt the engine mounts and jack the front of the engine up. There is no need to separate the transmission. It would be a good idea to disconnect the steering shaft, (its very easy, one bolt where it connects to the power steering rack) and I have heard of some people needing to loosen the k-member and let it drop down a little bit. This is all for long tube installs. You may not have to loosen the k-member to do stock manifold. Then I have to ask, why are you replacing stock manifolds? Since you already have to be there, why not put long tubes in and get them out of the way early on?

OP
OP
W

Ward438

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the extra money for headers. At this moment I just want the repair more than I want performance. Later this year I plan on getting some headers and a small drop. I was a mechanic for years at caterpillar. Working around a wrench is second nature. I've never worked on these cars and don't know the ins and outs.

I was told I had to do an egr delete for the replacement. Not sure why. I've researched it and can't find a definitive answer as to why to remove it for a stock manifold.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to delete the egr for a manifold replacement. Now that tube might be a major PITA to get off the old manifold but it will all swap over if you got a stock replacement.

OP
OP
W

Ward438

Reaction score
Awesome. I bought 98 manifolds for an 02 motor. I suppose there's no difference between the two as far am emissions like an egr. Well, thank you for the reply. I'm pretty pumped for this ride. I've never owned anything fast. I was always a Jeep guy. There's something awesome about a strong 2nd gear pull.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome. I bought 98 manifolds for an 02 motor. I suppose there's no difference between the two as far am emissions like an egr. Well, thank you for the reply. I'm pretty pumped for this ride. I've never owned anything fast. I was always a Jeep guy. There's something awesome about a strong 2nd gear pull.

We are all here for each other! Now what you can do, is go over and make an introduction thread and post up some pictures of your ride. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online