Exhaust options with fox headers

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm planning on redoing my exhaust sometime next year. If anyone has ever seen pics in my build then you'll know how terrible it is. From the collectors to the tips is all one piece. I got it on a budget deal when I was first getting my car going, it's functional but it makes life a living hell if you ever have to remove it to do anything such as driveshaft or transmission work. The fit is so close to the axle due to the angle of the tips that almost doesn't want to go back in once removed.

Anyway, the headers I have are Ford Racing shorty's that came off my buddy's fox. They were cheap and at the time I didn't know there was any difference between a fox and SN 5.0. I really don't want to change headers, and I still would like to keep the same exhaust setup except for maybe a change in mid pipes. My question is what kind of mid pipe will I be able to run and keep my fox headers...I'm assuming and fox mid pipe would work but what I don't know is if I will run into any clearance issue with my transmission (T5) or anything else. Right now I have a stock H pipe that has had the cats removed with pipe added in place, Magnapacks with 4" tips welded straight to the back of the muffler case that dump/stop just in front of the axle, angled out towards the tires. Like I said, I'd like it to be close to the same setup, maybe going to an X or pro chamber, but something that is a little easier to remove and work with. I'd like to be able to separate the mid pipe from the headers and the mufflers and tips from the mid pipe. I can get whatever exhaust work done that is needed around here no problem.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The real issue is the clutch arm is in a different spot on the fox vs the sn. I can't help with the answer either.

95opal

Reaction score
run an sn mid pipe there is no real difference between fox and sn shorties besides the lack of an egr bung.

RichV

Reaction score
So I run Fox headers with a SN UPR x-pipe. I do have leaks at the collectors, my research tells me the ball joints on my headers (BBK) are just a tad too small for the UPR x-pipe, creating leaks. Not sure if I just got lucky on this leak, or if it's due to some incompatibility between Fox/SN stuff.

When I bought the car, it had a cheapie Fox h-pipe on it with MAC SN shorty headers. It worked, no clearance issues, but it had dumps.

When I compared the UPR X and the cheapie Fox H, the UPR was about an inch longer than the H. This makes sense since the SN chassis is an inch longer, however some manufacturers claim their H/X pipes fit 79-95, so ??? All of them have flanges at the header side and before the mufflers, so as long as you have your shop either put flanges on your existing or get a new catback setup you should be set. Just make sure you get something that wont rust to shit, stainless and stainless hardware.

Soundwise, either standard H with flowmaster 2 chamber, full length tails. Or, prochamber with muffler deletes and full length tails. But they'll hear you coming. :)

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
What about cutting your current setup where you can and adding band clamps?

Could be done but it's just so hacked up underneath that I'd prefer a fresh start...I'll have to dig up a picture.

So I run Fox headers with a SN UPR x-pipe. I do have leaks at the collectors, my research tells me the ball joints on my headers (BBK) are just a tad too small for the UPR x-pipe, creating leaks. Not sure if I just got lucky on this leak, or if it's due to some incompatibility between Fox/SN stuff.

When I bought the car, it had a cheapie Fox h-pipe on it with MAC SN shorty headers. It worked, no clearance issues, but it had dumps.

When I compared the UPR X and the cheapie Fox H, the UPR was about an inch longer than the H. This makes sense since the SN chassis is an inch longer, however some manufacturers claim their H/X pipes fit 79-95, so ??? All of them have flanges at the header side and before the mufflers, so as long as you have your shop either put flanges on your existing or get a new catback setup you should be set. Just make sure you get something that wont rust to shit, stainless and stainless hardware.

Soundwise, either standard H with flowmaster 2 chamber, full length tails. Or, prochamber with muffler deletes and full length tails. But they'll hear you coming. :)

Thanks for the info Rich! I'll probably do some shopping around after the first of the year and see what I can come up with. I still haven't decided if I want to keep an H pipe in my exhaust or switch to an X. I'll definitely be keeping the muffler and tip setup though. I need to make a more current exhaust video...you can hear it coming for sure :evil:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.