Exhaust set up help!

Rsd94

Reaction score
Hello all new to this forum!
I am need some help with a exhaust setup.
I currently have a 94 mustang Gt 5.0 and have the orginal exhaust on it.... the previous owner gave me a PaceSetter H - pipe. I have no idea how this will sound. My initial set up was going to be with the flowmaster orginal 40 series performance series 2.5". I want to achieve that classic 5.0 flowmaster sound.

So with the PaceSetter H- pipe and flowmaster orginal 40 series mufflers installed will it be to loud? With the H-pipe installed, will it take away the sound of the the flowmasters or have a mixed sound?

If I do go with this set up do you guys have any recommendations? Make changes? Do I also need a O2 sensor extension kit?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
First welcome
That h pipe won't make a difference in loudness
The 40 have mellow deep and 44 have aggressive deep

What state are you in some emissions laws have changed

TrickVert

Reaction score
There was an off-road pipe and a set of Flowmaster 40's on my '95 when I bought it. It sounded mean, but was unbearable on the highway. So much so, that I stopped to buy earplugs for the 4-hour drive home from Michigan to Ohio. A few weeks later, the FM' s were replaced with Dynomax Super Turbo. That said, there are thousands of Mustangs running around with that same setup, and their owners are pleased as punch. "Too loud" is a very subjective thing.

chrisp427

Reaction score
Hello all new to this forum!
I am need some help with a exhaust setup.
I currently have a 94 mustang Gt 5.0 and have the orginal exhaust on it.... the previous owner gave me a PaceSetter H - pipe. I have no idea how this will sound. My initial set up was going to be with the flowmaster orginal 40 series performance series 2.5". I want to achieve that classic 5.0 flowmaster sound.

So with the PaceSetter H- pipe and flowmaster orginal 40 series mufflers installed will it be to loud? With the H-pipe installed, will it take away the sound of the the flowmasters or have a mixed sound?

If I do go with this set up do you guys have any recommendations? Make changes? Do I also need a O2 sensor extension kit?
I put the same H pipe on my 94GT with the factory mufflers and it completely changed the sound. Really good tone, but not bad on the highway.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Agreed. An O/R pipe will add a nice tone to the factory exhaust. There's certainly a difference. That said, I'd rather get the tonal difference from the mufflers, and keep the cats for both environmental reasons and to keep the fumes/stink at bay.

OP
OP
R

Rsd94

Reaction score
I put the same H pipe on my 94GT with the factory mufflers and it completely changed the sound. Really good tone, but not bad on the highway.
Do you think I should add the 40 series orginal mufflers?

OP
OP
R

Rsd94

Reaction score
how are the emission laws there in canada , i would go off road at the x or h pipe
and if you want aggressive 10 series flow master out the back
I'm thinking the 40 series orginal or the super 44

Reaction score
My opinion for that OG sound is, H-Pipe made by anyone, and Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back because American Thunder comes with 2 chamber mufflers. Some of the best sounding 86-95 Mustang's still have the stock headers or un equal length aftermarket headers.

OP
OP
R

Rsd94

Reaction score
My local supplier for parts told me that the flowmaster orginal 40's only come in 2.25 for the 94gt 5L. The H pipe is a 2.5 and they can't find any adapters? The orginal 40's do come in a 2.5 offset inlet and 2.5 outlet but they said not made for the 94gt may work or not?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn’t look for a specific car when checking for mufflers. Look up the offset inlet, offset outlet in your choice of 40 or 44. I’ve had both in 2.5”.

That said, the two mufflers produce a similar sound but the 44’s are definitely louder than the 40’s. I think the 44’s have a little “hollower” sound compared to the 40’s.

OP
OP
R

Rsd94

Reaction score
Okay sounds good!
I wouldn’t look for a specific car when checking for mufflers. Look up the offset inlet, offset outlet in your choice of 40 or 44. I’ve had both in 2.5”.

That said, the two mufflers produce a similar sound but the 44’s are definitely louder than the 40’s. I think the 44’s have a little “hollower” sound compared to the 40’s.
Okay thanks! I think the tailpipes are orginal 2.25. Should I get new 2.5" mandrel-Bent tubing and 2.5" slant cut tips... rather than mix and match sizes and have fitment issues.

If I go 2.25 someone is going to cut the original mufflers out then have to weld extensions jn as the mufflers are not the same diamentions as the original. Don't want the sound to be off.

TrickVert

Reaction score
You're over-thinking this. Unless you choke the living heck out of something, the sound will not differ much with or without the O/R H-pipe. Yes, it would be a little bit louder, and the O/R does allow more of a cam's sound to come through if you have one, but it's not worth dealing with the stink (IMO), and not necessary for performance.

As for pipe diameter, unless you have other high-performance mods now or in mind down the line, 2.5" or 2.25" tail pipes will make no difference. (EDIT: I think the 2.5" pipes look better, but that's expen$ive for a minor change in appearance.)

If you don't have plans for a 400 RWHP car, here's my suggestion: Install a set of 2.25" in and out 40's in place of the factory mufflers. That will give you the sound your looking for, and you can sell the O/R H-pipe to offset the cost.

Makoto

Reaction score
if your'e talking flowmaster you're already not worried about performance so just go with whatever you like even if it goes from 2.25 to 2.5 per pipe.

h pipe + flowmasters will sound dope on a 302. if you don't like it cut em off and try something else.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m (finally) having my Super 44’s installed today. I videoed a sound clip of my set up now. When I get the car back tomorrow, I’ll video a comparison and post. FWIW, I have Bassani headers, X-pipe, all 4 cats and O2 sensor in place and I just passed smog in CA!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online