Exhaust system overhaul: re-cat h-pipe or new aftermarket?

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
First off, I'm in Broomfield County, CO which requires that I do the IM240 test, which means I will need functional catalytic converters, air pump, and all that BS on my 94 GT. :cry:

The guy I bought the car from did some kind of a hack job with the exhaust to include welding on some boxy-looking mufflers that I'm not even sure are for a car. They hang super low and scrape anything sticking up on the road.

Generally, the car smells awful when it runs. I took it to my mechanic friend and when they brought it into the garage and ran it for a bit the entire shop filled up with strong NOx and fuel smell. He recommended replacing everything from the headers on back.

I have a line on some BBK ceramic shorty headers and a Borla catback set of mufflers, but I was wondering about the midpipe.

Should I just get newer high-flow cats and weld them onto the stock h-pipe or just get a new midpipe altogether? I was looking specifically at the BBK catted x-pipe, but they will add $420 to my budget.

Also, I wonder if I'd really be saving money by retrofitting the old h-pipe.

Pretty sure I know what the answer to this question is, but let's hear your opinions.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Honestly I think that Bassani modular system is the way to go. Switch from high flow cats to none in minutes. As far as the mufflers some companies make them like that spintech being one of them. Good luck

OP
OP
F

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
Ah, I assume the purpose of a modular system is I can run an off-road pipe, but come time for inspection, slap on the cats, pass go, collect $200? Interesting...

Sinned83

Reaction score
Exactly I don't have it but I will beats having to borrow my buddy's factory h pipe and swapping them every year

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was amazed to find out what they would pay for them as the titanium in them is worth a pretty penny. Certainly worth the trouble of finding one trust me... And if it were me I would replace them as they can and do get clogged up and restrict even more then they were designed too.

OP
OP
F

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips gents! Headers, catback, and new BBK catted x-pipe on the way from UPS!

I wanted to go modular but I REALLY want for this smell to go away, and now that I may possibly have to add brakes and an A/C repair on my short list, I will eschew the Bassani midpipe until a later date, or maybe get my exhaust guy to fab me something so I can change them out with straight pipe sections!

This stuff is a disease! I'm already adding heads, intakes, throttle bodies, & cams to my wishlists. ;)

sinister5oh

Reaction score
get a cat-less mid pipe. slip an extra 20 or so to whoever' inspecting your car and if he's cool about it he'd pass you. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online