Expanding the DIY Car Culture

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm taking a poll across various internet forums to gauge interest of who would be interested in a public-facing, do-it-yourself hobby shop. If you've found yourself ever needing one or more tools that were either hard to find, very expensive, or you just never had the space available to be accumulating more things, maybe such a hobby shop could solve all those problems. You'd accomplish your own work with help from staff as needed who'd keep an eye on safe conditions and safe workmanship from the customer, and likely at a much cheaper hourly fee than a shop you'd normally take your car into for maintenance or performance aftermarket modifications.

I figure there's a ton of people like us out there--the shadetree and house garage mechanics--whose passions are their cars. I figure such a place would have at least one ASE Master Mechanic on site to assist novice people who get in over their heads and to enforce safety and make sure subsequent customers receive quality tools and that broken tools are replaced, etc. The place would be fully insured and have a robust safety program with technical and administrative controls in place to ensure it is extremely difficult for anyone to get injured.

I think just one of these in a major metro area where the car culture is huge would be good for starters, a city such as Orlando, Tampa, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Let me know if you'd be interested in such a thing. Would you take advantage of a fully-equipped and staffed facility that let you reserve a lift bay by-the-hour and do your own work?

Cheers.

Jeff

Last edited:

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm taking a poll across various internet forums to gauge interest of who would be interested in a public-facing, do-it-yourself hobby shop. If you've found yourself ever needing one or more tools that were either hard to find, very expensive, or you just never had the space available to be accumulating more things, maybe such a hobby shop could solve all those problems. You'd accomplish your own work with help from staff as needed who'd keep an eye on safe conditions and safe workmanship from the customer, and likely at a much cheaper hourly fee than a shop you'd normally take your car into for maintenance or performance aftermarket modifications.

I figure there's a ton of people like us out there--the shadetree and house garage mechanics--whose passions are their cars. I figure such a place would have at least one ASE Master Mechanic on site to assist novice people who get in over their heads and to enforce safety and make sure subsequent customers receive quality tools and that broken tools are replaced, etc. The place would be fully insured and have a robust safety program with technical and administrative controls in place to ensure it is extremely difficult for anyone to get injured.

I think just one of these in a major metro area where the car culture is huge would be good for starters, a city such as Orlando, Tampa, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Let me know if you'd be interested in such a thing. Would you take advantage of a fully-equipped and staffed facility that let you reserve a lift bay by-the-hour and do your own work?

Cheers.

Jeff
Interesting idea... maybe it's the right idea at the right time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like a makers space. I have heard that some have automotive areas with lifts and crap but we have never had one close to me.

OP
OP
cobrajeff96

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Damn, I love that cookies and cream interior your car has. I always wanted a white SN95 with that sort of color combo. Maybe one day.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
there is a place that is similar to what you mentioned at ft bliss , its called the craft shop
there are a lot of military guys that are trying to fix there own cars, but do not have the space, or need a lift.
and some dont know how to work on there own car , there is a ASC tech there at the shop to guide and tech ,
it is basically the same idea shop with all tools, a tech , lift and bay space ,
i do think there is donations to keep it a float not really sure how its funded

OP
OP
cobrajeff96

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It's usually funded through MWR and the employees are typically Non-Appropriated Funds.

I've been in or affiliated with the military for about 17 years, 11 of which have been as a contractor in Europe. I like the service concept and I can't help but think how helpful it can be to the part of our community that's in the public space. Guys like myself have been lucky with use of the hobby shops.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I usually let some of the green suitors use my lift here at the house when they have problems
And just show them step by step
Basically what I do for our military at work

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think in a dirty dream of mine I would LOVE to set up a makers space here locally with a garage, various cnc's, electrical shop. You know basically set up my dream shop and rent it out to pay for it...

Monday

Reaction score
This reads like you want an shop class set-up with a tool crib. It's a great idea but I think insurance is gonna be the giant killer here.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've thought about opening a shop like this as well so you definitely aren't alone in your thinking. Maybe when we move to North Carolina in a few years, but there are a lot of things you'll have to think through like how to keep track of your tools and make sure nothing goes "missing" without pissing off your customers. Also a lot of car projects take multiple days so you end up having to rent space as well. It has to be cheap enough to be enticing but expensive enough that they aren't going to store a half done project at your shop for an extended period of time. If your shop is full of half done projects you won't have any space for new customers. I haven't really dove into the economics of everything yet to figure out if it's a viable business model or not but much like everything it seems very simple but turns out to be very complicated. I'd imagine liability insurance would be huge considering the people working in the shop aren't considered professionals either. Just a ton of stuff to consider.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've thought about opening a shop like this as well so you definitely aren't alone in your thinking. Maybe when we move to North Carolina in a few years, but there are a lot of things you'll have to think through like how to keep track of your tools and make sure nothing goes "missing" without pissing off your customers. Also a lot of car projects take multiple days so you end up having to rent space as well. It has to be cheap enough to be enticing but expensive enough that they aren't going to store a half done project at your shop for an extended period of time. If your shop is full of half done projects you won't have any space for new customers. I haven't really dove into the economics of everything yet to figure out if it's a viable business model or not but much like everything it seems very simple but turns out to be very complicated. I'd imagine liability insurance would be huge considering the people working in the shop aren't considered professionals either. Just a ton of stuff to consider.
I think if you did something like this it would be a good idea to have a fairly large storage area. You know cars will have to be left there from time to time and there is no reason not to charge for the storage and make a few more bucks.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think if you did something like this it would be a good idea to have a fairly large storage area. You know cars will have to be left there from time to time and there is no reason not to charge for the storage and make a few more bucks.
The cost of the additional space and the ability to move a non operating vehicle at will could be substantial depending on the area you are in. Real Estate costs differ greatly.

FullstackViking

Reaction score
We have spaces like this in my area, but they're pretty expensive to rent time on. And unless you really know you're going to be in-and-out with your project it can get expensive quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online