expert advice

G

GREG@SN95

ok...

I've been thinkin'

when I start piecing my car back together I'm want to do something with the engine...

So I was thinking either two things

1. Nitrous on my stock 302 w/ 80,000 miles
2. take the 302 (out of f150 with <40,000 miles) bore it out .30 over (306)

Now I don't want to spend a fortune on my car... I ain't gonna race... gonna drive it every day... want decent milage... and don't want to risk hurting my stock 5.0L

So whats a good Nitrous route if its even a good idea? parts? prices? safety?

Or should I go 306... I've never built a 306 EFI... I've only toyed with carb'd engines.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Kinda depends on if you want to just go all natural or if you want to go the giggle gas route. You can run a 125 shot all day long on our blocks but anything after that you have to make sure you upgrade some serious stuff (forged pistons etc). The only problem is i would not myself spend the money on putting forged internals on a stock block. Now a 306 would be nice but the gains over a 302 are not that huge, way less then even putting say a 50 shot on your car, assuming that you keep the stock heads.

For nitrous, there are a lot of different routes you can go. Personally, although its more expensive, I prefer the safer route. The VENOM kits that are offered are amazing. They monitor everything and it also gives you a computer LCD screen to install in your car to see how everything is working! Also, if it senses the slightest sign of your engine running lean, it will stop the injection of nitrous. Also has the auto-retard built in so when it's not engaged it makes your engine run at full potential, instead of you running at a lower timing rate. Also, its adjustable so you can have it progressively shoot more into your engine, like if your in 3rd it only does a 75 shot, then in 4th it does 100 then 5th 125, or whatever you want. Just some info. Good Luck and Keep us Posted! :drunk:

Stangbangin

Reaction score
if your going to spray use the higher mileage block first....nitrous just tends to beat on shortblocks so I wouldn't beat on a good low mileage block.... forged internals are the only way to go if you do anything more than 125 shot for sure...the stock block will be fine all the way to about 500 hp and by the time you decide you wanna push that you'll want another motor anyways

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

well If I was to build a 306 I'd replace the heads and cam as well...

Like I said I'm not looking for alot of power I don't want to race it...

But I'm liking the nitrous idea... cheap... and I'll buy gears... save alot of money... I just worry about safely running it at 80k miles...

What is the max milage I should want to run that at?

jpajkos

Reaction score
Honestly if your not gonna race it there's no need for NOS. I would actually stroke the motor to a 331 or 347. I found when I had my pushrod the stroker kit worked out alot better then the bore. But if your not feeling the stroker kit bore it. 306 is a strong set up still. That with the right HCI setup and some gears good tune you will be more then happy with your daily driver.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

i'm likin the venom kit actually... 550 bucks... and gears... that'll do... 3.73s

that way if i need to beat a skittle i can push a button and pow!

CanaryGT

Reaction score
That Venom kit isnt a bad kit at all. If you get it let me know, I would love to see the setup!

Xuzhu

Reaction score
Don't worry about the milage...I've been running a (small) 75 dry shot with an NOS kit for 2 years now. Currently I'm at around 140k miles on the car, never touched the bottom end of the thing, top is fully built, blah blah. I'm not afraid of the nitrous at all :) My only suggestion is whatever kit you get, start small with the jets then go bigger when you get comfortable.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Spray the stock bottom end if its healthy. I sprayed a 125hp wet kit on my 110k-130k stock bottom end for 2 years. Pulled it to do a stroker motor. I agree 100% with CanaryGT on the not putting too much money into a stock block. a mild 306 on the cheap would be optimal along with some spray. I've got a fully forged 331 sitting in a stock block in my car. I'm at the HP limit of the block and not even CLOSE to maxing out the rest of the combo. THAT sucks.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
Spray the stock bottom end if its healthy. I sprayed a 125hp wet kit on my 110k-130k stock bottom end for 2 years. Pulled it to do a stroker motor. I agree 100% with CanaryGT on the not putting too much money into a stock block. a mild 306 on the cheap would be optimal along with some spray. I've got a fully forged 331 sitting in a stock block in my car. I'm at the HP limit of the block and not even CLOSE to maxing out the rest of the combo. THAT sucks.

its only got 70k on it... ran strong...

AND! I'm gonna take it apart and clean it all up nice n good... (as opposed to seafoam crap)(lol)

Yah... I guess I'll go with the venom kit... cheap n easy HP... I'll have to hide the bottle... I bet my dad would flip. NITROUS! THAT AIN'T SAFE! IT AINT A RACE CAR!

lol... I just wanted to be sure that it won't kill my car... I baby it 90% of the time and take such good care of it... well i did at least

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
I just got trash stuck in my nitrous solenoid and the system was spraying STRAIGHT nitrous into the motor until I closed the bottle. Keep that in mind when you think its safe...Also I wouldn't go with a Venom kit. I'd stick with kits that people use alot.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stopsign32v said:
I just got trash stuck in my nitrous solenoid and the system was spraying STRAIGHT nitrous into the motor until I closed the bottle. Keep that in mind when you think its safe...Also I wouldn't go with a Venom kit. I'd stick with kits that people use alot.

I know of ALOT of very happy Venom Users

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stopsign32v said:

Did you have a nitrous filter? They are there for a reason. Keep that in mind next time you put a nitrous kit together saying they aren't safe.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Never heard of a nitrous filter. I'm a boost guy generally. First time I've fucked with nitrous. Only because it was cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online