Explorer motor.

1994gt

Reaction score
So my current motor has an oil leak at what I think is the oil pan. Car is in storage at the moment. I'm wanting to do a hci swap but I can get a gt40p motor from an explorer that is complete with 120k miles for $450. I want to be able to just get a motor and then build it while the car is in storage for the winter. That way when it's nice out I can just go out with the old and in with the new. I know I'll need to swap springs and oiling system and front timing cover. I also know I have to swap the cam as well. Should I take the heads to a machine shop and have them gone through? Should I use the stock rockers or upgrade to 1.6 roller rockers. And what cam will work well with the 94/95 mustangs. I'm not looking for gobs of power. Just an upgrade. May take the old block and build it up to a 347 or such. But for now this is what I'm wanting to do. Any links to what you guys have used would be nice. Not sure what I'll do for a tune. Will it at least run without a tune? What other input can you give me.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot on this but a lot of what you are asking is something i was wondering myself. i have heard that the stock cam out of your 5.0 mustang is not such a bad cam and people have got upwards of 4-500 horsepower with boost on the stock cam. it would be a great idea to get your heads gone through depending on your local shops you have access to. the car will run without a tune but not very well. you will want to upgrade your fuel pump and what not. i would look into a shop for tuning before hand to make things easy and at least get a price point. I personally will be using a SCT chip for my car once i get mods where a tune is needed as a good tuning shop i found where i live uses SCT. so that can play a factor in which chip/route to use. have you heard of or considered using a tweecer RT or a moates quarter horse tuning program for your car? a lot of people have very good results with those two for the price.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing on tuning. Computer skills are not my strong point. I was under the assumption that the stock #19 injectors and stock fuel pump are enough to handle this kind of upgrade.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing on tuning. Computer skills are not my strong point. I was under the assumption that the stock #19 injectors and stock fuel pump are enough to handle this kind of upgrade.

ya i hear you on that but then i forced myself to read for days on end to learn the very basics and to know what kind of setup would need tuning/computer/standalone/re-programmable chip/wideband and all that jazz. the actual tuning part still eludes me lol.
the stock fuel pump is a P.O.S. 88lph and right about maxed at 250hp. a 190lph will run ya like $100 depending where you live. if canada then probably $10,000. a 190lph is good for around 4-450 i THINK! don't qoute me on that. a Fuel Pressure Regulator will make sure that pump is utilized and smoothin things out in my opinion. that'll run ya like $120-$180. if canada $60,000.
so your call. you can run the stock 88lph pump %100 maxed out or a 190lph at about %60.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I would go to 24's..
Tfs#1 is a common cam.. It's a good idea to get the heads cleaned up and squared . Maybe replace the valve seals.. I would not spend too much money on them.. I would also get a set of roller rockers..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score

oh and i should mention you would need a fuel pressure gauge and fitting to screw into your fuel rail at the shrader valve to properly adjust the fuel pressure. and i forgot to mention that the stock 19lb injectors are not to shabbby and should be ok, when you move to 24lbs you will deffinetly need a tune and i think a M.A.F.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I would go to 24's..
Tfs#1 is a common cam.. It's a good idea to get the heads cleaned up and squared . Maybe replace the valve seals.. I would not spend too much money on them.. I would also get a set of roller rockers..

hey, do gt40p head's not have roller rockers? as i said i actually was wondering about this mod myself.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Not factory. Only the 94-95cobra did.. The stock fpr would work fine no Gauge needed.. Stock maf would be fine too

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Not factory. Only the 94-95cobra did.. The stock fpr would work fine no Gauge needed.. Stock maf would be fine too

oh ok. ya i knew cobras had roller rockers (as my profile pic actually shows lol) but i did not know they used gt40p heads. intresting.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
So #24 injectors, tfs 1 cam, 190lph fuel pump. I really don't want to even attempt anything tuning. What about the chips that American muscle sell? I know they are no dyno tune but will they do til I get around to a dyno tune and be better than nothing?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
So #24 injectors, tfs 1 cam, 190lph fuel pump. I really don't want to even attempt anything tuning. What about the chips that American muscle sell? I know they are no dyno tune but will they do til I get around to a dyno tune and be better than nothing?
Addermk2. Get a chip from him

RichV

Reaction score
The explorer motor would be a good upgrade. Tear it down, make sure cylinder walls look good, maybe check the main/rod bearings. Replace if necessary, new gaskets, better cam, and get it back in. The heads you definitely need to do the springs. Plan on doing an intake and exhaust to get the max out of this setup.

I run a GT40p top end in my 94. No tuning with a E303, 19# injectors. Made 272HP a couple of years ago with 12* of timing and 42# base fuel pressure. I've run this setup on my 94 for years without running issues, but it is a race car so it lives at high RPM all the time. Warmup and cooldown laps are similar to driving on the street and it seems to behave without any tuning.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I currently have a bbk cai, 70mm throttle body, bbk shorty headers, off road X pipe with flowmaster dumps. I also have ford racing plug wires with the 90* boots so I shouldn't have issues with the gt40p heads. I've heard that the 94/95 guys should stay away from the letter cams. How accurate is that?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ran a b303 in my car for a couple years and it made a noticeable difference in the low end torque. Pulled a lil smoother thru the the upper rpms as well.

Only tuning done on mine was a chip from adder. Told him what was done to the car and he sent me a chip that was pretty spot on from the first try!!!!!

Plus b303 has a nice lil lumpy idle which sounds great!!!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.