Export Tails: Discussion

sorscode

Reaction score
Hello Forum!

Okay so this one has been something I wanted to ask. I'm new to this Forum but long time member of "The Corral" or "Stangnet". Before those "Super Stallions of the Net". Anyways to the topic.

I'm curious on what all the rage is with the Export Tail Lights? Pricing seems to be all over the place. I've seen people selling sets for ~$350 all the way up to $1,000. Why the craze?

Not looking to start a war on here. Just looking to see what others think. If the craze was so big why hasn't anyone made aftermarket versions?

delling3

Reaction score
Maybe I am mistaken, but aren't these specific to the 94-95 models? Are "export" vertical tails a thing? I would guess that a (relatively) small market would limit the interest for an aftermarket firm to tool up a re-pop?

OP
OP
S

sorscode

Reaction score
Maybe I am mistaken, but aren't these specific to the 94-95 models? Are "export" vertical tails a thing? I would guess that a (relatively) small market would limit the interest for an aftermarket firm to tool up a re-pop?

They made the exports for 94/95 and 96-98 along with 99-04. I'm using a photo I found really quick instead of running to my shop and grabbing a photo.

6c6037392459d14f14391f1e2bbca9a0-jpg.589415

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
some people just like to be a little different. Yes some people act like like it will add 50 hp and get you laid daily by the prices they set but I have seen people pay some crazy prices because they had to have them.

Cheapest I have seen was around 350-400, the most I think was almost $900 or something crazy. didn't deep sell a set for crazy money?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
They were always pricey. Been on eBay since 2001, owned my mustang since 1998. During the early aughts, when the aftermarket industry were all over these models there were tons of stuff for anything you can think of. Tail lights, however, they were typically a zillion version of euro lights, which the majority of the community hated immensely. There were smoked version that were slightly better, but still hated. It wasn’t that people did not want to modify these cars and keep a purebred pony, it was that too many were ricing these things out to look like wannabe fast and the furious civics. (The movie was new, and it had a MAJOR impact on our generations car hobby culture)

Around that same time, the 94-95 horizontal taillights were showing their age. Many went with the 96-98, while others went with euro lights. The export spec still looked factory, and pretty much were the ONLY option for something different that was still horizontal. To this day, you cannot buy new replacement 94-95 taillights, even though they look even worse now than 10-20 years ago.

But, as I mentioned in a different thread, no one outside the community will know they’re different. In fact, some within might not even know. The only person who will know that they’re exports, and thus, special, is you.

Also, I am not sure what the age for importing is. In the US, a car must be at least 25yo to import into this country. If this rule is the same overseas, that means people can finally import 94-95 mustangs to their country, but in order to register them and make them street legal, they now must source these export tail lights which were only available in other select countries. So I bet their sudden demand has increased their value since it’s now a need not a want.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I don't care for that style of light
I do like the original equipment that comes on the car
I had a set on my 95 ranger that have the three colors of light like those
And changed them to solid red and clear bottom
What can I say American is better

OP
OP
S

sorscode

Reaction score
Thanks for your input and agree with what you (MyLittlePony) said.

I actually have a couple 94/95s coming in from Japan & Australia in the next 45 days and a 96 Cobra coming Spring of 2021. The 94 v6 from Japan is a LHD and the 95 v8(Manual) is a RHD. I'm using those to build a car for a surprise for a customer. If they approve I will be doing a build thread on it. In short a RHD 95 GT Coyote.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Thanks for your input and agree with what you (MyLittlePony) said.

I actually have a couple 94/95s coming in from Japan & Australia in the next 45 days and a 96 Cobra coming Spring of 2021. The 94 v6 from Japan is a LHD and the 95 v8(Manual) is a RHD. I'm using those to build a car for a surprise for a customer. If they approve I will be doing a build thread on it. In short a RHD 95 GT Coyote.

a RHD 95 GT Coyote? Now that’s something to see. I know they sold them in Japan, but I don’t remember ever seeing a RHD round body SN95. I only know of the new edge cobras that were sold in Australia. There used to be a Japanese mustang commercial on YouTube years ago. I don’t know if it got pulled or what. Can’t find it.

Edit - I found it. Not RHD

I had it saved back in 2008, but I couldn’t get the audio. Looks like someone in 2012 uploaded it, along with this one:
Also not RHD, and that’s not even a mustang interior. Maybe a Taurus from the same era?

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They were always pricey. Been on eBay since 2001, owned my mustang since 1998. During the early aughts, when the aftermarket industry were all over these models there were tons of stuff for anything you can think of. Tail lights, however, they were typically a zillion version of euro lights, which the majority of the community hated immensely. There were smoked version that were slightly better, but still hated. It wasn’t that people did not want to modify these cars and keep a purebred pony, it was that too many were ricing these things out to look like wannabe fast and the furious civics. (The movie was new, and it had a MAJOR impact on our generations car hobby culture)

Around that same time, the 94-95 horizontal taillights were showing their age. Many went with the 96-98, while others went with euro lights. The export spec still looked factory, and pretty much were the ONLY option for something different that was still horizontal. To this day, you cannot buy new replacement 94-95 taillights, even though they look even worse now than 10-20 years ago.

But, as I mentioned in a different thread, no one outside the community will know they’re different. In fact, some within might not even know. The only person who will know that they’re exports, and thus, special, is you.

Also, I am not sure what the age for importing is. In the US, a car must be at least 25yo to import into this country. If this rule is the same overseas, that means people can finally import 94-95 mustangs to their country, but in order to register them and make them street legal, they now must source these export tail lights which were only available in other select countries. So I bet their sudden demand has increased their value since it’s now a need not a want.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13405R/94-95-Mustang-Lh-Taillight-Assembly

You were saying????? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sorscode

Reaction score
a RHD 95 GT Coyote? Now that’s something to see. I know they sold them in Japan, but I don’t remember ever seeing a RHD round body SN95. I only know of the new edge cobras that were sold in Australia. There used to be a Japanese mustang commercial on YouTube years ago. I don’t know if it got pulled or what. Can’t find it.

For the SN95 (94-98) Ford did produce a low number of true RHD cars. They are hard to find. There are more conversion style RHD in AU/NZ than there is real RHD. The one we found was actually at a wrecking yard and the goal was to have a true RHD. Now the decision has already been made to eliminate the clutch cable and go hydraulic. The way the clutch cable works on an RHD is it went along the front of the engine had a small bracket on the radiator core then down to the clutch fork. Going Coyote that will just look ugly so hydraulic will clean it up. This will be a process but will be worth it.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score

They got them back in stock? They were out last I checked. Upon searching, it looks like they’re claiming this as a “new item.” There was also a more affordable version but I guess those did in fact stop getting made.

I know they make those, but those are not the export. That is just the standard 94-95 Tail Lights.

It was in response to what I said about replacement horizontals not being made, and thus, not really having an aftermarket option without going to verticals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sorscode

Reaction score
They got them back in stock? They were out last I checked. Upon searching, it looks like they’re claiming this as a “new item.” There was also a more affordable version but I guess those did in fact stop getting made.

I actually own a set of these. I got them out of the box and put them right back in after comparing them to an OEM set. Not worth the money.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They will get you laid but only if you are into other import dudes as they are the only ones that will notice.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I actually own a set of these. I got them out of the box and put them right back in after comparing them to an OEM set. Not worth the money.
The cheaper LMRs, right? Not the more expensive ones in the link?

I really want someone to make something similar but have them be actual modern light bars. Have the lower reflector be a third light bar, with each horizontal bar being a separate lamp. All three light up solid as running lights, but braking, signaling, and hazards being sequential upwards. I know someone on here made their own, which faded outwards. Neat effect, but too much work, and the LEDs made it look too cheap and all it takes is one diode to go out and it look a million times worse.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The cheaper LMRs, right? Not the more expensive ones in the link?

I really want someone to make something similar but have them be actual modern light bars. Have the lower reflector be a third light bar, with each horizontal bar being a separate lamp. All three light up solid as running lights, but braking, signaling, and hazards being sequential upwards. I know someone on here made their own, which faded outwards. Neat effect, but too much work, and the LEDs made it look too cheap and all it takes is one diode to go out and it look a million times worse.
I did something like this years ago with led strips. The light is not designed to come apart and does not do it easily as I had to cut mine open. After opening it up I sectioned off the 3 areas and glued in the strips and the epoxied it all back together. I never finished the other side just because it was a fair amount of work and then I realized that unless I plan on cutting it open again when one burns out I am screwed.

joe65

Reaction score
yeah funny to me also that the amber piece in those lights and same with the new edge tails make them $hundreds more? Well, we do live in a world where appearance is everything for some. I like the all red tails also. Part of the reason i like New Edges so much is they did a good job with the tails. I really didn't like mustang ass ends again until the S550 came out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online