Export Tails: Discussion

Walt

Reaction score
Where did you find the export wiring diagrams? I've got a 95 GT export version and can only find domestic market wiring diagrams.

For my '03, the export wiring diagrams are the '99/'01 Cobra wiring diagrams. So, they were documented with the domestic ones.

There is a really good set of instructions on the MustangWorld website called "Installing a set of Cobra Tail Lights" written by Jonathan Tam. Below I offer some updates to this excellent article based on my experiences with my '03.

In Step 8, Jonathan refers to a "red square peg" in the flasher's black plug. Apparently, this peg is used as a key and therefore will only allow the one correct type of flasher to be plugged into it. Latter, Ford seemed to realize that mechanics could tell the difference between the yellow and the blue colored flashers, and on my '03, there wasn't any peg. Also, there is nothing special or custom about the blue colored flasher which replaces the yellow colored one. The blue color flasher is a standard type called SF-613 and is used on other Fords.

In Step 9, Jonathan refers to a "gray plug connector next to the steering column". I found that on my '03, this gray connector is actually now located behind the driver's side kick panel.

After removing the driver's side kick panel, you should see a row of three large connectors. There is a gray connector between two black connectors, and it is this gray connector which matches up the one Jonathan found next to his steering column. If you have a set of Ford Wiring Diagrams, this is called connector C332.

In this same step, Jonathan also refers to a "solid green wire". There happens to be three solid green wires on this connector (even back when Jonathan did his own Mustang). One light green wire and two dark green wires. The wire that needs to be cut, is the dark green wire running to Pin 12 on the connector. If you pull the top, or male, connector out by releasing the locking lever, you should be able to bend it over and be able to read the pin number markings next to where each wire enters the connector. Just find the one marked "12" and confirm it is a dark green wire. Last, take a deep breath and cut it. If you have a set of Ford Wiring Diagrams, this DG wire is part of circuit 569.

You can buy these parts from your local Ford dealer, or one of the on-line Ford parts discounters:
SF-613 Electronic Flasher Ford P/N F67Z-13350-BA
Right Cobra/Export Tail Light Ford P/N XR3Z-13404-CA
Left Cobra/Export Tail Light Ford P/N XR3Z-13405-CA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online