ext door lock question

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have some plans for the door handle area and I am curious about the exterior door lock. How does it actuate the lock? Does it use a cable or rod? I am thinking about moving it and wondered if anyone else has done it or seen it done? I thought about moving it up under the mirror to hide it a little better but wasn't sure how hard that would be....

95opal

Reaction score
Its a rod set up with an actuator... your best bet is to just buy a remote actuator kit unless you still plan on using the lock cylinder..I know you said you planned on hitting the track a few times a year and although theres no rule about shaved handles some tracks may or may not break your balls.

I stand corrected

From the nhra rule book
4. Doors handles must be functional, inside & out. “Shaved” door handles not permitted unless there is an obvious mechanical means for our safety crew to open the driver and front passenger doors from the outside

Looks like you will have to incorporate a mechanical back up (ie..pull cord or similar) if you plan on hitting the track

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'm sure it's easy to do. The lock itself looks like this
lrs-21984e-kit_3238.jpg

The plastic part at the end of the lock turns with the key, a metal rod that comes up from the actuator and has 2 90 degree bends in it goes through the door lock and the action of turning the key causes the rod to be pushed up or down. I don't know where you'd want to move the lock but if you moved it to another part of the door you could probably make up your own rod and make it work.

The end of the rod that connects to the door lock looks like the ones in the bottom right of this picture.
images

EDIT

Reread your post, as long as the rod can be bent to ensure it doesn't get in the way of the window, it should be doable. It would just have to be bent in a way to ensure you can turn the key normally and you don't have to put any extra force into it.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to fab it... but since you do other crazy custom work I'm sure you'll find a way.

Why and where are you moving it?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was originally planning on shaving the door handles but have found an idea I like better. More on that later....

Thanks for the help/info fellas that answered my questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online