Fabric wrapped interior pieces?

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
So I have a newer console, 01 I believe in my 94 and I love it but I had to paint It to match, well now the paint is coming off and starting to look like crap, has anybody tried to
Wrap the whole console in leather or some sort of fabric?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Im sure its possible but probably pretty difficult with all the curves and the shape of the thing

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
The part that I can't think of a way to make it look right would be the cup holders, I just don't like the plastic feel

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A shaggy carpet console?!? Awesome!

Most people just paint/dye them.
If you could get something like suede to lay nice enough that would be sweet.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
I'm thinking like match the inserts on the door panels, but no idea how to go about that

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If the paint is coming off you probably didn't do it right the first time. Interior dye should last a very long time. Redline will wrap the center console lid in any material for you. As far as the rest of the console, any vinyl shop should be able to wrap it whatever color you want. You could also pull it out and get it hydrodipped.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
I had to look up hydro dipped.. That looks pretty cool, anybody you know that's done it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Leather would be a big no-go for sure as it would not stretch around the curves. It would need to go to an upholsterer to cut/sew the shapes needed to get around the curves. Vinyl might work if it has some good stretch to it but cloth would probably work. All you would need to do is scuff/clean with some scotchbright/alcohol and then some spray adhesive and some planning would do it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hydrodipped my girlfriends interior parts and they came out sick! Just unsure what you would do in the interior of one of our cars, especially the entire center console

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hydrodip will look a bit off imo no matter what the style since it will end at the stock dash.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Hydo-dip aka Water Transfer Printing for the console is a great option that comes with a host of colors and designs. Cost is based on the size of the part being dipped. I agree with Ferocious, the prep on your old paint/dye job wasn't done correctly. Clean the part properly and re-dye it yourself or bring it to a professional and have it done. Now all you have to do is choose.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see someone leather wrap all the plastic in the interior. A pro with the right steam tools could probably get it to look really good but I bet that the cost would be significant. I have always hated the dash and thought leather would be perfect.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
to wrap in leather/vinyl it will take a very talented individual and i'd assume some stitching would be involved. stretching over the whole thing with 1 piece would b impossible imo.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the replies, I'll go ahead and try to dye it again. The first time I did it I didn't hardly clean it and used some autozone paint. But the redline console lid might be in the future for me!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by the sound of it then if you tried to put adhesive/covering now on paint that was not properly prepped you just going to find the cloth covering peeling off just like the paint. Paint/wrapping is ALL about the prep. At this point no matter what you do to the console the process should start with trying to get as much of the paint off as you can or even the hydrodip would be temporary. Take some scotchbright and alcohol and it probably will not be too hard to get it off.

chris91

Reaction score
Id go with SEM paints next time.

If you decide to just start with a fresh slate I have a 01-04 Center Console missing the lid Id sell for $30 plus shipping.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
by the sound of it then if you tried to put adhesive/covering now on paint that was not properly prepped you just going to find the cloth covering peeling off just like the paint. Paint/wrapping is ALL about the prep. At this point no matter what you do to the console the process should start with trying to get as much of the paint off as you can or even the hydrodip would be temporary. Take some scotchbright and alcohol and it probably will not be too hard to get it off.

X2 but also check locally for a professional to redo the dye work. It may not be that much money to have it done.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys! Chris91 I think I'll just stick with mine, I know how to do all the prep just underestimated spraying plastic lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online