factory amp

swaney

Reaction score
hey guys new to the forums and ive been looking through the forums for anyone having the same issue as I am. I just got my 95 mustang and I put a new head unit in it and I'm not getting any sound from the speakers on the right side. i found what i think is the factory amp under the stereo that has all the wiring for the speakers going to it. problem is whoever put the last stereo in it just hacked all the wires instead of getting the pigtail to do a good install. ive tried running new wires to the speakers and tapping into the wires for the corresponding speakers at the amp but I'm still not getting any audio. only getting audio from left side. has anyone else ran into this issue. I'm going to go to a local junk yard and see if i can find a harness that hasn't been all hacked should i pick up an amplifier as well or is there some testing i can do on the amplifier already in the car to save a little change

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Bypass the amp and run it from the deck for a super amazing 20 RMS per channel (estimated).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
can you get pics of what you have left after the hacking and what you have done to wire into it? IF your missing one side I would guess the output from the deck has a bad connection as there are 3 different amps running in stereo for it to loose signal to all 3 on one side. Did you use the RCA or speaker level outputs on the deck?

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
If I connect the wires straight to the head unit I have audio. I got a wiring diagram from alldata and connected with some cheap crimp connectors for now to the corresponding wires. I have tried going to the plug on coming off the amplifier going to the speaker to see if it was an open wire between amp and speakers. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow. Things been going crazy lately

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
Stupid question but how can I upload pictures from my phone. The only way I can find has me putting a url in

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
Thanks I'll have to do that so I can upload what I got

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
IMAG1461_zps0ddrhhju.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
Ignore the cheap crimp connectors and wire nuts it was just a temporary to figure the bugs out

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't tell what that is wired into. The black and Grey harnesses on the top get plugged into harnesses in the dash that then go directly to the tweeters. I normally recomend that you go from the speaker outputs from the deck to those two harnesses. You can cut those two off and then use them to wire into them if you wanted and then just use the tweeters speaker wire to run your speakers(assuming the stock woofers have been replaced). It sounds better if you take the stock amps out honestly....

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
I don't have factory tweeters and it's just wired up to the connector that plugs into the head unit. I'll try what you said though and see how that works

lutter94

Reaction score
Do you have a PN for that harness you used? The Metra 70-1770 has you unhook two connectors down low and the passenger side of the amps. This bypasses the amplifiers, you won't need them at all, or a junkyard replacement. From those connectors, I'd be doing continuity checks from there to the speakers themselves, from my understanding, it should be direct from there. Assuming no Mach 460, like I think you just mentioned.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
great no tweeters means that the black harness on top go directly to the tweeters. Cut the one you have in the pic off of the harness and the speakers wires are paired up 2 at a time for a total of 8. I you want to know what wires to go to which speaker take a AA battery and touch the wires to each end and the corresponding speaker connected will make a popping noise.

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
I don't have any numbers on this harness all of the tape that was on it has fell apart. Ill just get a wiring diagram and hook it up to those connectors and hopefully that will fix it. I'll post an update when I get it hooked up

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Forget the wiring diagram and use the battery to test the wires and it will save you time and allow you to be sure the wires are right. The speaker wires are just paired 2 at a time next to each other on the 8 pin harness.

OP
OP
S

swaney

Reaction score
Well I'm an idiot. I should have checked the pre amp connections in the first place. I had crossed the negative for both right side speakers. I was looking at the connections I had made at the head unit harness and found out. After fixing that it worked like it's supposed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online