Failed my emission inspection with my UPR catted X pipe?

Darhawk

Reaction score
I need your help!

So I just rolled through the emissions testing and passed the sniffer, but they said it was a fail due to my small high flow cats and because my smog pump hose wasn't connected.

If you live in Colorado, what should do now! I am kind of pissed off about it because I thought I read on UPR website that they were 50 states approved. But apparently not today here in CO. How can it not pass with high flow cats that is the reason I bought them.

FREAKIN FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW! UGH...

What do I have to buy to get it to be smooth sailing, I don't want any trouble down at the emission booth?

EDIT: I have my original H-pipe with the cats, so might just have to put it back on with reducers so it will fit the 2.5 Flows masters.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
maybe it was just because the smog pmp hose wasn't connected and not because the cats were too small (that's a new one on me too). It is actually part of the emission system. therefore tampering with any part of the system is a FAIL.
Do you still have the pmp? can you reconnect the hose and have it retested?

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
maybe it was just because the smog pmp hose wasn't connected and not because the cats were too small (that's a new one on me too). It is actually part of the emission system. therefore tampering with any part of the system is a FAIL.
Do you still have the pmp? can you reconnect the hose and have it retested?

Yes I still have the pump installed, but they told me it also because of the smaller sized Cats. There wasn't any hole drilled out for the hose on the X-pipe so I knew it wasn't connected, but how he explained how the cats were smaller than approved was kind of a shocker to me. I figured I'd just have to drill of hole and insert the hose and then be done with it. Oh well, I wonder how much this is going to cost me....argh!

Maybe I'll just buy a BBK one and be finished with all of these hoops and circus antics.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Wow are you serious? You have cats on the car, its 19 years old who gives a fawk if the air pumps not connected seriously. High flow cats are legal in all states.. Thats really weird, try and find a small mom and pop shop and they'll pass you. I have no emissions on my car what so ever, I'll pass when its time for inspection. Whats mind boggling is that you have cats on the car, whether they're stock or aftermarket, cats are cats! Think they just wanna take your $$ twice and bust your balls to be honest.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've passed the sniffer with out cats lol and just the casings clamped around he h pipe the only visual they do is look with a mirror to see if there's cats

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the car passes the sniffer it shouldn't matter how big the cats are cause they're obviously working, i'd tell them to **** themselves.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
That was my feeling on this as well . Like where I live if it passes the sniffer ur good.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
High flow cats are a joke.. They dont friggin count as real cats.. You should NEVER assume you will pass emissions or not throw a CEL with them(for those 96+)

sk1tskat

Reaction score
Always keep your old cat set up just for things like this or find a buddy that can hook up with a sticker...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Save yourself the headache and either just put the stock pipe back on for the test or pay them extra $$ to pass it.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
sounds like you just went to an over achiever, bad part is it shows you failed in the system now. i would call a couple other shops that do emissions and tell them the story and see what they say

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Save yourself the headache and either just put the stock pipe back on for the test or pay them extra $$ to pass it.
Prolly just take it off and put back the old one then buy a legit one later next spring.

It was pretty cool to though to hear my car inside the booth; sounded great! People in the waiting room all turned around to see what was making that loud rumble..LOL!

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
sounds like you just went to an over achiever, bad part is it shows you failed in the system now. i would call a couple other shops that do emissions and tell them the story and see what they say
Yeah I figured that was bad part about is now I am in the System. I already called Midas and they said it might be $100-150 to put the old one back on. Or they said maybe they can drill the hole for the smog pump, and then I can try it again. I think I have 10 days to run it through again to see if it passes. Since they already took my $25.oo, which is a scam, because I never been to a sniffer place that makes you pay if you don't pass. It's Crap I tell ya, pure Crap!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just come to rural TN where straight pipes outnumber hybrids, 4 to 1.

RichV

Reaction score
Register it at my house. Of course I'll require the title in my name. :)

Bummer. Not sure how that works, I think the catted pipe has to have a CARB # stamped on it, if it does, it should be good enough for the station to pass a visual, not sure about the smog hose. That alone may be a fail for a visual.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Register it at my house. Of course I'll require the title in my name. :)

Bummer. Not sure how that works, I think the catted pipe has to have a CARB # stamped on it, if it does, it should be good enough for the station to pass a visual, not sure about the smog hose. That alone may be a fail for a visual.

I doubt the cats have a number on them since they are UPR crap! [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] Can you recommend a good exhaust shop nearby? I don't know of any one good, except your midas and what have you. I knew the pump hose was loose, but didn't really think about it until I was sitting in the waiting room. I think I might have botched this round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online