Failed my mustang today :/

RyanCess

Reaction score
Tried to replace my stock shifter with a short shifter and everything was going well until i got to the part where i actually had to remove the shifter from the transmission. Have any of you encountered this problem and came out successful?

lutter94

Reaction score
Whats wrong with removing a shifter? unbolt it and it comes right off? right? Do you have any more details or photos of your issue.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Its probably stuck on with some good rtv. When I installed my shifter I used blue rtv and that stuff holds! I had use a pry bar on the side of the shifter base and try to break the seal. Also had to hit the side of the shifter base with a hammer.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Whats wrong with removing a shifter? unbolt it and it comes right off? right? Do you have any more details or photos of your issue.

Its stuck on there probably do to the seal they used. Its the stock shifter that came with the car back in 1998.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Can you use a screw driver to pry it off?

I tried. I couldn't get enough leverage. This is where I got stuck. I couldn't take this off. Also, I did remove the bolts this was just a picture i took during the process.

lutter94

Reaction score
Was gonna say, uhhhhh the bolts are still in it, lol. Can you reach from the bottom with a punch and a hammer? seems like i recall that face being stamped steel that bends around each side. A really long extension (a few together also) would prob work too.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A flat pry bar and hammer should do the trick. Otherwise you can pull the transmission and do it that way. Tee hee.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I pulled my transmission and changed the shifter.

I had to pull the engine too, but that's unrelated lol.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Assuming the shifter bolts are indeed out...no, their will be no damage cause the rtv seal will give up and release.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Ok ok and how exactly would I do that? Like where do I need to put the pry bar?

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
so put the flat bar on the left or right side of the shifter and hit the flat bar with the hammer? I can do this from inside the car?
Make sure them four bolts are out first. Yes inside. When I changed my fluid last month I filled it through the shifter access. It was stuck on there same as yours. Just use good strong flat tip screwdriver and presto chango.

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so put the flat bar on the left or right side of the shifter and hit the flat bar with the hammer? I can do this from inside the car?

Left, right, top, bottom, shouldn't matter. Either way you're prying it upwards. And yes from inside the car.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And can I replace the flat bar with a screw driver like laserredgt said?

Sure. But if it's really stuck on there you'd get more leverage with a pry bar. Just do what you gotta do to take it off. You can also tap the mounting handle with a rubber mallet to try and break it loose if it's never come off before.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Sure. But if it's really stuck on there you'd get more leverage with a pry bar. Just do what you gotta do to take it off. You can also tap the mounting handle with a rubber mallet to try and break it loose if it's never come off before.

Whats the mounting handle? So many questions I know lol :/ and yeah it's never came off before.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Literally just smack that ***** around like it owes you money and it'll come right off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.