Famous door panel ripple?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Luckily mine hasn't done that.

If it does I will recover in black perforated vinyl to match my FR500 steering wheel and RSD similar to the 94-95.

older post i know :p just wondering if there is some kind of kit to do this? i love that look of the perforated vinyl.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
older post i know :p just wondering if there is some kind of kit to do this? i love that look of the perforated vinyl.

I went to a local fabric supply store and bought a few yards of the material. Surprisingly they had it in stock and it matched pretty well. I bought it originally for my RSD but I think I want to recover my vert light bar and door panel inserts also.

IIRC the material was @ $15 a yard but it is 3 feet wide, then however many yards in length you want.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I went to a local fabric supply store and bought a few yards of the material. Surprisingly they had it in stock and it matched pretty well. I bought it originally for my RSD but I think I want to recover my vert light bar and door panel inserts also.

IIRC the material was @ $15 a yard but it is 3 feet wide, then however many yards in length you want.

Do you have any pictures you are willing to show off?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well geez, that doesn't do us any good lol

It hasn't done me any good for almost 5 years either :(

With a career change and two kids popped out over the last 5 years the non essentials were put on the back burner. I did however continue to buy parts quietly but don't tell my wife....

I should not only have the time this year but extra money to put it back together the way I planned before those fateful words of "I AM PREGNANT".

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
not exactly sure what you mean by cut the vinyl.

I'll probably have to get pictures to explain probably but i'll try and explain

I have both a set of 94-95 doorpanels that are off my car and I have a set of 99-04 door panels on my car.
Where the 99-04 door panels ripple on the arm rest behind the door cup on the 94-95 doors there's that like hard plastic insert rather it being vinyl wrapped like on the newer doors.

My question is of the possibility to use the 94-95 door arm rest inserts on the newer 99-04 doors I have, if by cutting out the vinyl in that area and then inserting the arm rest piece from the older doors.

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I found a set of those at the yard actually Saturday they were like the newer panels simply drilled out for the insert to be plastic welded on. I had the thought of poping the welds and snagging them but I didnt and kicking myself right now but exactly the same material as the fr500 wheel and the new edge leather back seats i found them in a late 95 mustang going to try and replicate the pieces and wrap them

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
a196ab80a27aeacdb08a4b3b5e10b476.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok that is what I hoped you meant. you should be able to drill some holes in the new panel to mount the insert on it.

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I'll have to try it sometime soon. I might get a junkyard door panel for mock up. My door panels are mint except for that damn ripple. Plus the 94-95 doorpanels look way sleeker with the perforated arm rest versus vinyl.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You would probably be better off cutting off the pieces that went through the panel on the insert. It could be more trouble then its worth to line them up and you could put as much epoxy/tape as needed on the back side between it and the panel to hold it on.

I have a buddy that wants me to make him a fiberglass set of inserts so he can cover and do that on his terminator I just have not had time.

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
my door panels are decent not the best but they need some love had to pull one off earlier to get to my wiring harness and its got a crack here and there and the dye did something funky. Planed on making a resto sorta and yeah i thought of it but the pieces at the yard were broken and one was holding the remainder of the convertible top up so i was sketchy on spending the $20+ bucks on pieces i may not be able to use

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I'll take a picture later but I believe its the oem dye on the factory plastic door panel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online